Unhappy paper weight owner.....
Nov 25, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #16 of 45
the worst thing, is that considering a 3rd party can sell the battery for $50, then you know it costs Apple about half that (or less) when buying in volume. And yet, they wanted to charge $200 or more to replace it, plus shipping?? Ridiculous! Bad Apple. Even at $100 now, they are still taking advantage of the situation. Apple should charge no more than $50 to replace the battery, which would still leave them a reasonable profit.

And, yet, people keep buying....

But no one I have a chance to talk to
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 8:09 AM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
Um...I'm not sure I understand where the dividing point is between tech support and the warranty support. Wouldn't the warranty support be the side which covers the free pre-paid box etc..? According to what you just said, it's tech supports job ?

The iPod comes with 90 days of free phone support and one year of warranty coverage. AppleCare extends both to two years. All warranty claims are handled through the phone support line, unless you take the product in to an authorized Apple servicer (Genius Bar at the Apple Store).

It is almost *always* worth getting AppleCare on Apple products -- you pay top dollar, but for nothing less than top-notch service. When my first iMac broke, I called and within 15 minutes someone had a pre-paid box sent to me overnight, and the iMac was back in perfect working order two days later. Didn't cost me a dime. Woulda' cost me 700 smackers if I hadn't made the relatively small investment of $130 for AppleCare. They even send you an itemized invoice of what repair would have cost without AppleCare. Made the mistake of *not* getting AppleCare on my iBook, and when its screen died I was screwed.

If you actually use Apple products and are familiar with their services, AppleCare is a no-brainer. I only wish other companies I've dealt with gave me the same quality service.

--Chris

Nov 25, 2003 at 8:17 AM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by dj_digital
It's not working for me. I downloaded the new version of quicktime and rebooted but it still doesn't work. Is there any other way to watch the video. By the way, I have win98se

Just a side comment: If this guy doesn't like the ipod, why is he using quicktime, another apple product, to show the video?
very_evil_smiley.gif

dj_digital

irony...

Likely because he wanted to show people that he wasn't just an apple hater...

Nov 25, 2003 at 8:23 AM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
I mean, that's been the iPoder's biggest claim, that it's so easy to use..a drunken donkey could operate it with two hooves tied above his back.

Actually, I really disliked the controls on the current iPod, they're artsy and illogical. The controls on every other piece of electronics I've ever laid hands on are natural and logical. With the iPod there's a damn touch sensitive circle and you have to fiddle with it for a while to figure out how the hell it works to get you through all the different menus. It took me like 5 mins to figure out how to turn the damn volume up.

Nov 25, 2003 at 8:44 AM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp

It is almost *always* worth getting AppleCare on Apple products -- you pay top dollar, but for nothing less than top-notch service.

--Chris

I usually don't like extended warrenties, but I must agree the AppleCare plan is the best in the industry. I worked in a computer store (CompUSA - and no, I didn't like it) for a year, handling customer service and returns. I met many many customers who were very very happy with AppleCare. I did not hear complaints from people who got AppleCare but didn't use it or like it - as I did with the other warrenty programs I would have to say CompUSA extended warrenties are the second best in the business, and I am by no means a fan of CompUSA.

Nov 25, 2003 at 9:35 AM Post #24 of 45
To the contrary... I spent like, 30 seconds on the iPod before I figured out how to do almost everything. To me it was still the most intuitive control there is. It took more time for me to figure out how to use my Palm, or my PocketPC. In fact, it took more time to figure out how to use my CD player/alarm clock...

Anyway, I don't know how valid the 18 month claim really is.. I mean.. does everybody's iPod needs to have battery replaced in 18 months? My friend had the first iPod since it came out, he still doesn't have any problem with battery now.

Sounds like a few disgruntled people making a big deal out of nothing to me.

Nov 25, 2003 at 10:33 AM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
Sounds like a few disgruntled people making a big deal out of nothing to me.

It would be a big deal to YOU if it was YOURS, eh? These toys aint cheap - if yours crapped out in 18 months... would you be happy? no way. most of my electronics last for 5 to 10 years.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 3:07 PM Post #26 of 45
This kind of thread really drives me crazy
mad.gif

If you dont like the iPod's controls / DONT BUY ONE!!

If you dont like the iPod's battery config / DONT BUY ONE!!

Personally, I use an iPod. YES it could be better, but there are tradeoffs with EVERYTHING. Deal with it!!

[markkr storms off G R U M B L I N G...]

Nov 25, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
It would be a big deal to YOU if it was YOURS, eh? These toys aint cheap - if yours crapped out in 18 months... would you be happy? no way. most of my electronics last for 5 to 10 years.

smily_headphones1.gif

Hey, like I said, my friend has had the iPod since its first release, and he has never had any problem with the battery or otherwise. I think it's more or less of a percentage of defect rather than the general case that holds true for everybody. By these people doing this, it just makes it look like a bigger problem than it really is.

Any company that makes electronics deal with a certain percentage of defects. Some laptops has battery that dies prematurely, some MP3 players will have buttons that break prematurely. It's pretty normal to expect a certain percentage of failure.

Of course, whenever that happens to you, it seems like it happens to everybody in the world. However, we all know that's not the truth, it's just the perception.

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by dj_digital
It's not working for me. I downloaded the new version of quicktime and rebooted but it still doesn't work. Is there any other way to watch the video. By the way, I have win98se

Just a side comment: If this guy doesn't like the ipod, why is he using quicktime, another apple product, to show the video?
very_evil_smiley.gif

dj_digital

It works for Windows users, it's just you have to have wait awhile to load.. server is kinda slow.
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:25 PM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Yeah, I saw that and almost posted it too. Cool gorilla fight, but a little inaccurate...

I must admit that I was a little disappointed when I got to end of the downloaded clip and didn't see any monkeys.
frown.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #30 of 45
I must say jamming a screwdriver into the (firewall?) port on my iPod to crack it looks a little frightening. Is it really that easy, BlessingX? It looks like a potential scratch fest to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back