Unfortunante events
Dec 26, 2005 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Duncandun

100+ Head-Fier
My pc crashes with my new headphones plugged in, my grado 325I's, Quite unfortunante, I'm going to have to upgrade my PSU i guess. I'm also kind of looking for an amp for my new headphones, what do you all reccomend? 200-600 is my best range in price.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 14
The headphones wouldnt be causing it, maybe not sitting in ur pci slot properly.
Ive never heard of hp causing a pc to crash!!!!, i dont think the psu gets drained from headphones that much anyway

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibo
The headphones wouldnt be causing it, maybe not sitting in ur pci slot properly.
Ive never heard of hp causing a pc to crash!!!!, i dont think the psu gets drained from headphones that much anyway

Agree. The PSu could be gone but the HP might not. Try using the HP on another source.
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 14
assuming your plugging them into the right port (not trying to shove them into a USB port or anything!) I do not see how it would be possible to crash a computer.

Headphones are very efficient and draw almost no current in comparison to what even the most modest computer PSU puts out.

if you recentyl installed any hardware check that, it could be at fault, you may have left a screw (or screw driver!) in the case? if your running a gaming rig w/ a good gra[hics card did you put the sound card in the PCI slot directly below the graphics card? if so tht will block airflow and can cause the comp to be unstable.
perhaps the card isnt in all the way and pushing in the headphone wiggles it just enough to crash the computer?

please report back to us
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 14
Nope, my psu has some power problems, Even though i know the HP don't draw alot, I think it might just be enough. My psu is already running right at 12v or 11.8-9 when it gets hot. My soundcard is in the furthest PCI slot from my GPU, my gpu is in the first PCIE slot,my Senn's work fine, but right after i plug in the grados, or a few minuites after with some use, pc crashes, refuses to boot until i unplug them. It's very odd. I'm replacing my PSU anyway , Going to try to get my money back from tiger direct, HAH, like that will happen.

Anyway, If you guys have anymore ideas i'm open.

Dec 27, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 14
The voltage on your PSU should be 12 and there should also be a wire at 5 volts. It should be at those no matter how hot it is. If it gets extremely hot and shuts down you're overloading it, but the voltage shouldn't change more than a couple tenths of a volt, and none if it's a good PSU.

Headphones being plugged in should not tax your computer power supply at all. You say the computer crashes... crashes how? does it power off? blue screen? what happens? will it turn back on with the headphones still in? We need some more info... but I would be willing to bet the power supply has nothing to do with it...

Dec 28, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #7 of 14
Although I've never run into this particular issue in my 10+ years of PC troubleshooting, here's my best guess:

If your PC crashes when you plug in your headphones, I'd tend to suspect a problem with the jack you're plugging into. Since you said that the PC refuses to reboot with the headphones in, I'd tend to wonder if whatever it's plugged into is improperly seated (e.g., your sound card, etc.). Also, is there any chance of the jack itself having some sort of grounding problem? That seems like the most likely culprit to me.

Do you know if your soundcard is integrated into the motherbaord, or is it in a PCI slot?

To find out whether it's the headphones or the device on your PC, you should try a variety of other headphones and/or speakers in that jack. Also try the headphones in a bunch of other devices to see if there's problems with those.

blink.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 14
Hey guys, i have a audigy 2 ZS, It only happens when i plug my grados into my card, my Senn's don't mess it up. Also, If i try to run any media player(creative media player, winamp, w/e) and then try to play a taxing game(like CoD2) i get a stop error, The wierdest part is that when it restarts after the error, things seem to go in slow motion, loading windows can take 3 or 4 minuites+, sometimes it never finishes and just blue screens again during startup, I wish i knew what was wrong with it. I'm going to have to say it's the powersupply, There's really nothing else in my experiance that it could be.

Dec 28, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 14
You're computer is messed up, but it couldn't possibly be because of the headphones. There is just no way. I would just flatten, reinstall and move on.

Dec 28, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 14
Senns have higher resistance than Grados so I don't think that would cause it. Try plugging in some earbuds or a cheap pair with low resistance to really see if its the grados or something else. This problem sounds really bizarre. If you think its a psu problem is there another psu you could borrow form a friend to test? And before any of that I would try to reinstall and re-plug in the sound card to make sure its connected properly with the right drivers. Good luck.

Dec 29, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #12 of 14
This is a weird one.

Firstly, even if your Windows install is only a few weeks old, it could still be part of the problem. I'd have to estimate that in my experience, about one in twenty Windows installs or reinstalls will seem to have problems, and eventually need to be redone. The long load times after a crash could indicate just such a problem.

Another possibility is the Audigy card. If your motherboard has a built-in sound system, you could have a serious conflict. It could be that the integrated sound isn't completely disabled in your BIOS. Check on that, and it could be a quick fix.

ALso make sure you have the latest drivers for the Audigy. On occasion, I've seen Creative cards (and others) with weird problems that were suddenly fixed with a driver update.

I'd also verify that the rest of your hardware's in good shape (video card, hard drive, etc), just to be on the safe side.

Good luck!

Dec 29, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #13 of 14
The following advice may or may not work:

1. Unplug and then open your computer up
2. Take the sound card out, shake it to get the dust off, then put it back in.
3. Wiggle all cables coming anywhere near your sound card, especially the ones plugged into it.

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #14 of 14
How are the grados plugged into it? My guess is that the huge grado plug is putting enough weight on the soundcard that it's moving it in it's socket a little. Something like that would happily crash your computer.

I dunno about the other problems though.

I think we can all agree that the sollution is to
a) get a new hifi soundcard
b) get a dedicatd headphone amp so that you dont have to plug the grados straight into the soundcard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back