Unexpected quality improvement with inline volume attenuator for Shure SE846 and 2015 MBP?
Aug 18, 2015 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

petwoip

New Head-Fier
I recently got Shure SE846 IEMs which I'm connecting to a 2015 13' rMBP. The IEMs came with an inline volume attenuator, basically this.

At first I plugged them in without the attenuator and there was some hissing + high sensitivity to volume changes. I later learned both of these issues are normal for IEMs. So next I set my computer's volume to near max and added the attenuator. Not only did the hiss go away completely, the bass got A LOT better. I can't wrap my head around this. I read that if anything, volume attenuators reduce sound quality because they add impedance. To see how much difference computer volume made, I set it to the lowest value and cranked up the knob on the attenuator. The quality was a bit worse, but definitely not as bad as without the attenuator.

So now I'm left wondering why the attenuator helps so much, and second am I getting the best possible sound quality by using the attenuator? I don't have a headphone amp to test with sadly. My computer audio settings are 44100Hz 2ch-24 bit integer, and fiddling with them makes no difference. Also, my phone doesn't seem to have this problem nearly as much. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back