Unexpected frequency shift
Sep 8, 2022 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

paulrbarnard

100+ Head-Fier
I’ve just experienced a very odd situation. My music has all just dropped in frequency. Freddy Mercury sounds like Bing Crosby, Billie Ilish sounds like a teen aged boy who's dangly bits have just dangled and bass is hammering my headphones and speakers. Playback speed is normal, as is sound stage.
I’m going to have to sort this out in the morning. Like an idiot I made two changes at the same time. First my new PI2AES arrived so I swapped out the board in my endpoint and I also hit YES on the Roon update on my core while I was swapping the hat.
I can’t for the life of me contemplate how swapping the pi hat could be changing the digital stream in this way, it would take some significant DSP to frequency shift and maintain tempo, so my suspicion is with Roon. Ill swap back to the previous state and swap out one part at a time.
If I’d changed a cable of course I would have expected this level of change 😜
Anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Sep 9, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 2
In the cold light of day it was obvious the music was playing slow, hence the frequency drop. I then realised I didn’t change the hat information in Ropiee.

Sound is now back to normal.

Quick comment on the PI2AES-Lite. Despite the manufacturing issue resulting in the separate supply input not working, which is a shame as I have dual linear supply…, the hat works well with the full 192KHZ over optical to the DAVE with a very clean sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back