uneven seal between left and right ear
Feb 8, 2010 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

natty135

New Head-Fier
hi guys,

just wanted to know if anyone has the same problem as me. as IEM's fit depends on both the tightness of the seal and the depth of the seal, sometimes left and right ear aren't symetrical and the sound +isolation ): differs. i own the um3x and i love the long comply tips... with my left ear.. only. i can't seem to get as good a fit on the right ear and i don't think ther's any other tip longer and deeper and tighter than the long comply. so i'm stuck as to what to do. my right ear is larger (and it has a slight cavity after the entrace) so the seal is a serious problem. i love the um3x but this really pains me and i don't have the bling to get to um3x with um56

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 9
I have a noticeable difference between my two ears. With Shure tips, a medium fits my right ear, but my left ear wants something between a medium and a small (medium is uncomfortable, and small doesn't seal). My solution is to use the triple flange tips, which just "magically" slide in until it's the right fit. So give them a try if you haven't already.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 9
I have the exact same problem. I recommend trying something like the Shure triple flange or the Shure olives. The Shure olives does not go in as deep, but I know the large tips are quite big.

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 9
if its really something thats part of your ears, i guess this has been a consistent problem with all in ears? then the only thing i could think of woud be custom tips, ie UM56, or unique melody remold...maybe tri flanges would help?

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 9
thanks for the responses guys! i'd use the triple flange but they just don't sound right to me. i've modded them to be shorter + the top flange is off. does this happen with you guys? the triff seal just doesn't seem to isolate from treble noises and quite abit of noise. um56, no cash lah haha. i'm using shure's yellow foams because the square shape seems to help, as opposed to the contoured ones of the complies. i'll try but any other tip suggestions?

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 9
that's a good idea but it still doesn't seal as well for some reason, i think it's the cavity in my inner ear. but still, anyone has remarks as to the isolation triffs provide. i used to remember they do isolate quite well but for some reason 2 years later when i came back from the UE side they're not as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back