Uneven hearing in one ear.... loopsided deafness?
Jan 14, 2007 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Freed

Head-Fier
I am getting totally bummed out. I think I'm loosing my hearing in my right ear. I've never noticed it before while solely using Sennheisers on the the computer, because I'd adjust the right-side of the headphone awkwardly to get an even/balanced sound (my ears are uneven-one smaller & higher than the other).

Now that I've been listening to these Shure e500 I can distinctly hear the vibrancy of the music in my left ear, while the music on the right seemed distant and dull. I thought maybe defective e500? Switched the left and right and still my left ear can pick up sound/bass clearer than my right. It feels as though my right eardrums aren't picking up the sound because listening with my right ear gives no impact-as if the music is being played in the background.

Bummer.

I don't think I can continue my personal quest for audio-idiocy-supremacy.
plainface.gif

I don't know what to do or how to fix it. Any thoughts?

(btw I know it's not earwax because I flush both ears out with Earclear)

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 10
I've actually been having sort of the same problem for about 2 years. First headphones i got that were decent were E2c's, and i think they seriously screwed my ears up, because now i can't listen to music too loud without getting a bunch of pressure and crackling in my left ear to the point my eyes water and i have to turn the music off. Went to the doctor, but he said there was nothing abnormal, and recommended a ent i should go to. Hopefully you can figure out what's wrong...i'm going to make my appointment sometime this week.

Jan 14, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 10
well guys, i lost complete hearing in my left ear since the age of 3. but i never let that stop me from persuing enjoyment of music
3000smile.gif
however i do have to watch out when using headphones, not turning them too loud and whatever.

Jan 14, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting totally bummed out. I think I'm loosing my hearing in my right ear. I've never noticed it before while solely using Sennheisers on the the computer, because I'd adjust the right-side of the headphone awkwardly to get an even/balanced sound (my ears are uneven-one smaller & higher than the other).

Now that I've been listening to these Shure e500 I can distinctly hear the vibrancy of the music in my left ear, while the music on the right seemed distant and dull. I thought maybe defective e500? Switched the left and right and still my left ear can pick up sound/bass clearer than my right. It feels as though my right eardrums aren't picking up the sound because listening with my right ear gives no impact-as if the music is being played in the background.

Bummer.

I don't think I can continue my personal quest for audio-idiocy-supremacy.
plainface.gif

I don't know what to do or how to fix it. Any thoughts?

(btw I know it's not earwax because I flush both ears out with Earclear)

Go see an audiologist.

Jan 14, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielBurns11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Freed, I have the same exact problem to describe. In my right ear as well. It's not that bad though, it's not a big distraction for me.

ditto, my ear feels blocked and music is muffled. Plus it hurts if i listen to music for too long or go on car and train journeys. Doctor has given me 3 sets of medication which hasn't cleared it. Apparently its to do with teh tube going from teh back of the nasal passage to teh inner ear being blocked so the pressure cannot be relieved.

Im going back to see him in a few weeks and a little op might me necessary to clear it. Also try putting your head over a bowl of boiling water with a towel over your head. the steam might clear it up and open teh passage.

Jan 14, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 10
Yeah, thanks guys, I'm going to see an audiologist soon enough, but I would like to try adfinni's tip first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adfinni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... try putting your head over a bowl of boiling water with a towel over your head. the steam might clear it up and open teh passage.

I'm I trying to inhale the steam to loosen the passage nasally, or do I tilt my afflicted right ear towards the steam?

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 10
I'm also having this problem, two months after owning DT990 PRO. It's not the headphones fault, it's mine. I only listen at low volume, but:

So first I had this problem with my left ear. It was because I powered the phones amplifier with the beyers on my head. It was very painful. After time the hearing was even, but I just changed the capacitors on my Starving Student, and was not careful, and did the same thing, but this time the loud noise was in my right ear. Another two weeks and the hearing was even again.

Last week when walking on the street, I hear a car horn, right next to my right ear. The ordeal continues, I just hope in two weeks it will heal.

I don't know if it's something normal, I went to a doctor a month ago, because I was also diving and had problems pressuring the right ear. She said everything is ok.

I just hope I can enjoy again even hearing, because the DT990 sound great.

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 10
You might have simply never noticed the imbalance before. Use a computer to adjust the channel volume until it is equal for you and see if the sparkle is still missing from the quieter ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back