underwhelming westone w60
Apr 6, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #16 of 20
I love my W60s. They are just overwhelmingly clear and neutral. I can see how some would prefer the "oomph" that the 846 provides, but for me the W60 is king. 

I also think, and this has been stated by many others, that the W60 is a more subtle sound that takes longer to appreciate. But, I would never go back. 

This past weekend I had a chance to audition the JH Layla and the new AK model (forget what it's called). These were two and three times the price of the W60 respectively. Sure, they offered a little more detail and power. But, the difference was not huge. But, the JH IEMs themselves were. Talk about massive things sticking out of your ears!
I appreciated my small, light W60s even more after that. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #17 of 20
I've owned many Westone IEMs over the years - my biggest issues with them are the cheap plastic construction (they do not stand up well to any kind of abuse), and tendency for distortion at high volumes.  They are IEMs you keep in a drawer at home and listen to classical music to at moderate volume, for gym use, forget it - the Shure 846 truly is built like a tank, and they can handle the volume.

I do appreciate the lightness, but that's not a huge factor for me.  Westone needs to up their game on the build quality front - ASAP

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #18 of 20
  I've owned many Westone IEMs over the years - my biggest issues with them are the cheap plastic construction (they do not stand up well to any kind of abuse), and tendency for distortion at high volumes.  They are IEMs you keep in a drawer at home and listen to classical music to at moderate volume, for gym use, forget it - the Shure 846 truly is built like a tank, and they can handle the volume.

I do appreciate the lightness, but that's not a huge factor for me.  Westone needs to up their game on the build quality front - ASAP

See, for me the lightness just means greater comfort. And I carry mine around with me practically every day, and they have held up great. 

FWIW.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #19 of 20
after listening w60 and um3xrc for more than 5 hours as AB comparison, i have finally decided to pass w60 as my upgrade target as i find the vocal sound of um3xrc is better and more attractive. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back