Underwhelmed by MS-1: Do they get better over time?
Mar 25, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had second thoughts about every headphone I own. You need to give it time to truly learn their sound signature with various albums and genres.

I bought my sr80s used for more than 500hrs at least burned in+
My Ad700 new > I didnt have 2nd thoughts
DT880 > I do have 2nd thoughts about them. laid back vs prior. still very likable though I do agree with what you said though if it matters any

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have bowl pads? If not, get a pair. Makes the sound so much more crispier. Comfies really congest the sound IME.

this is so true. i've gone through three pairs in the past and now on my fourth pair. there was always something about them that i liked and hated. with the comfies, they were congested, somewhat boring sounding and closed in. i don't know why i never tried it but i finally tried bowls with my MS1 yesterday and has made me like these headphones even more. as Maza mentioned, they're much crisper with the bowls, making them much better then their price suggests.

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have bowl pads? If not, get a pair. Makes the sound so much more crispier. Comfies really congest the sound IME.

Hmm, but everybody here seem to dislike the comfort of the bowl. I can't input on that, since the only pair of pads I own is the stock comfies.

I think sometime down the road, I will own several pairs of Grado pads. Stock comfies, quarter mod comfies, bowls, taped bowls, jumbos and taped jumbos. This way I should have easy access to experience all the different sound signature provided by each type of pads.

A quick question, are the bowl pads more dense than the comfies? Do they come "quarter modded"?

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #34 of 36
The uncomfort thing is bit overblown. Yes, they are not most comfortable pads around as they are very stiff, but once you stretch the headband so they wont squeeze your ears and merely rest on them, they are good enough. I can wear them for hours without even noticing them.

I think nowaday Grados are pretty much designed for bowls in the first place. Old style SR60 become almost exactly same as SR80 in sound quality once you changed the stock comfies to SR80's bowls. I dont get it why new SR**i grados all use clearly inferior comfies now up to SR225.

And yes, they are already "quartermodded". They are just cups with a hole in your center that exposes the grill completely, and they are something between supraural and circumaular in shape.

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #35 of 36
Interesting, somebody in another thread brought up the point that Grado uses one driver for all their model, and each model's sound signature is determined by the quality of enclosure (plastic vs wood vs aluminum), pads and the "tack" used to dampen the vibration. (Not meant to be a flamebait)

Are the bowls and jumbos squishy like the comfies?

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #36 of 36
I dont really buy that single driver theory personally...

Bowls are coarser and harder than comfier, but soften up as time passes. Can be sped up by washing it in warm soapy water several times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back