Underwhelmed by MS-1: Do they get better over time?
Mar 25, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #17 of 36
I would imagine that your ESW9's are much better than the MS1's. The MS1's arent as good as the higher end Grados as most people like to believe, they just carry a different (and generally more acceptable) sound signature.

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #18 of 36
Oh yea, they are. I was just wondering if the MS-1s would eventually become acceptable. I just wanted a pair of open cans I wouldn't mind handling roughly. A few hours in, the MS-1s are sounding better to me though. Getting used to it, I think... ESW9 still blows it out of the water though.

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #19 of 36
Heh, wait until you get a thousand hours burnt in. Then again,like what limpidglitch have said earlier, you're used to laid back closed style headphones. The MS1 might be something "different" that you might not be able to tolerate right away.

Give it some time. It does stand up to all the hype and fame going around here.

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #20 of 36
The signature might just not be for you. The first SR60 I got captured me immediately; I generally don't read about people slowly coming to love Grados.

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the MS-1s close to 225?

I'm pretty sure the MS-1 is based on the 125.

When I first got my SR80, I was underwhelmed as well (and stated so on this forum!!). But it was a different style of phone for me, and different sound, so I patiently gave them a chance. Over time, with some burn-in and play, they smoothed out, and my ear and brain adjusted to their sig. Now I love them so much I'm looking all over the place for an upgrade to the 225!!!

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #22 of 36
You guys are tempting me to get some SR60's or SR80's.
frown.gif
I'm going to be damn poor. I'm already ordering a NuForce Icon Mobile on monday. This hobby just gets more and more expensive. It's like my obsession with guitars except it's cheaper to acquire good headphones, which makes it even worse. It's easier to spend $300 on headphones as opposed to $1000+ for a guitar.

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The signature might just not be for you. The first SR60 I got captured me immediately; I generally don't read about people slowly coming to love Grados.

There always have to be a first, so one never knows.

All this talk about the ESW9 makes me wonder if I did a bad choice with the HD25-1
redface.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #24 of 36
ms1s are overrated IMO. they are forward yet congested and dark yet harsh.... hmm considering all the crappy brands and headphones out there though, I still say they are surely in the top 10 best of what you can get for 100 dollars sonically

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right, of course, and that's part of the worry. I guess I didn't expect myself to have such clear sound signature preferences. Like, I consider myself more of a gadgetphile than an audiophile. I'll give it some time, more listening, and 414 pads. And if I don't like them in a while, meh, I'll sell them off. All part of the hobby. Just seems to wrong to not like these headphones that everyone else seems to love.

I think a lot of it is that you've gotten very used to that sound. Its what your brain thinks is right, as of now. If you give your ears some time with the MS-1's your brain will begin to think "hey, this isn't so bad either." Every time I go through an extended period of time with one headphone, when I switch to other headphones I immediately hear all their flaws. If I've been listening to the D1001 for a while and then switch to the AD700, I immediately notice the AD700's lack of presence and lack of bass punch. But if I go the other way, I immediately notice the D1001's fatigue factor and muddled midrange.

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #26 of 36
If you don't like em, then you don't like em. Don't force them on to yourself, and don't let others convince you like something that you don't. Burn in, blah blah, you either like em or you don't.

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't like em, then you don't like em. Don't force them on to yourself, and don't let others convince you like something that you don't. Burn in, blah blah, you either like em or you don't.

He didn't say he doesn't like the sound signature, he just feels that the MS1 didn't live up to its expectations and hype in this forum. All he need is some time to adjust to open air headphones, given that he was used to closed cans.

Until he says "I don't like them", the MS1 deserves a chance.

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #30 of 36
Do you have bowl pads? If not, get a pair. Makes the sound so much more crispier. Comfies really congest the sound IME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back