Understanding the curve
Nov 26, 2005 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Fish Tank X

100+ Head-Fier
Hmm, well, now that I've been listening to my SR-225's for a while, i've heard that Grados have a magical midrange. But don't extend as deep. Very extended highs. So I was wondering if you people could give me examples of which instruments reside in certain frequency ranges. Which instruments have the bulk of their body resides in

-lower bass
-mid bass
-higher bass/lower mid range
-mid range
-upper midrange
-lower trebble
-mid trebble
-highest trebble

My guesses would be that..
Standup bass would be lower/midbass
Voice would be midrange
Guitars would be upper mids/trebble
Cymbol crashes would be upper trebble

Can anyone straighten me out here?

Nov 26, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 9
Much thanks.

So what resides in that huge block above 3KHz?

Seems like most instruments would fall into the mids.

Also, what constitutes mids?

Where does the lower bass, mid bass, upper bass/lower mids, mids, upper mids and what not start on the frequency curve?

Nov 27, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 9
Come on, surely some headfier with their extensive knowledge of frequencies and dynamics and theoretical knowledge could throw me some scraps of knowledge to feast on.

Isn't the upper frequencies mostly harmonics? And how do harmonics work?

Nov 27, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #5 of 9
overdriven Electric guitar typically is about 70-5khz. Some recordings stretch beyond that, but they typically rely on room acoustics and resonance to enhance the lowest notes.

Nov 27, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #6 of 9
Sounds like this is what you want, should answer most of your questions.

frequencydistributionofsound9z.jpg

Nov 27, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 9
hmm.. what i listen to most are guitar, bass, and vocals, which are all in the mid to lows, except for piano which goes up pretty high, but i bet that's just range since i dont hear it that high usually. The cymbals are not as high as i thought, although the overtones go up pretty high.

Nov 27, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 9
blackreplica, that's a slick graph and shows nicely how harmonics fill way up for many instruments, however I think it is a seriously flawed graph. It shows a tenor saxophone being able to play higher than a soprano saxophone.

This simply isn't possible.

Nice graph, i will reiterate, but needs a bit of tip-ex i feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back