Understanding output power?
Jul 23, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #16 of 25
With that someone can show me Output Mw at 32 Ohms. It's Kann Alpha. Thanks.
P = V^2/R
P = 12V^2/32Ω
P = 4.5W = 4,500mW in high gain from balanced
And:
P = 2V^2/32Ω
P = 0.125W = 125mW in low gain from unbalanced

EDIT: I just realized that the voltage listed in their specs is unloaded. Without knowing what it is into a specific load, I don't think we're able to extrapolate. I think generally it will be (significantly) lower than what's listed.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #18 of 25
Back to algebra, everything depends on V=IxR (Ohm's Law) and P= IxV (Electrical Power from Voltage and Current). With the previous Ohm's Law equation, the Power equation can be algebraically re-arranged as P = (I^2)xR or P = (V^2)/R.

However, any way in which you can algebraically arrange those two equations (Ohm's Law and Power), you must know the value of 2 variables out of 3 in order to determine a solution. If you can't determine any more than 1 variable, you're sunk. In the OP's original post, the DAP is only referenced at 3.4Vrms. There is no Power specified at that Voltage, there is no Current given at that Voltage, and there is no Resistance (load) given. There's nothing you can do with it.

In the Astell and Kern reference, note that the Vrms values are listed as an "Output Level," not Power. All they are doing is showing you the variance in volume control at High, Mid, and Low. Yes, it is quite possible to calculate Power using Vrms, but you have to know either Current (I) or Load (R), too. Otherwise, you are only making assumptions, not calculating reality.

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #19 of 25
Back to algebra, everything depends on V=IxR (Ohm's Law) and P= IxV (Electrical Power from Voltage and Current). With the previous Ohm's Law equation, the Power equation can be algebraically re-arranged as P = (I^2)xR or P = (V^2)/R.

However, any way in which you can algebraically arrange those two equations (Ohm's Law and Power), you must know the value of 2 variables out of 3 in order to determine a solution. If you can't determine any more than 1 variable, you're sunk. In the OP's original post, the DAP is only referenced at 3.4Vrms. There is no Power specified at that Voltage, there is no Current given at that Voltage, and there is no Resistance (load) given. There's nothing you can do with it.

In the Astell and Kern reference, note that the Vrms values are listed as an "Output Level," not Power. All they are doing is showing you the variance in volume control at High, Mid, and Low. Yes, it is quite possible to calculate Power using Vrms, but you have to know either Current (I) or Load (R), too. Otherwise, you are only making assumptions, not calculating reality.
Friend could give a simple example, of some amplifier you know. This is a bit confusing, I feel like my head is exploding

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #20 of 25
Friend could give a simple example, of some amplifier you know. This is a bit confusing, I feel like my head is exploding
Don't read the first paragraph and your head will be fine.

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #21 of 25
Ok, so i've been going through this thread and making attempts to understand the maths, but the numbers i'm getting aren't making sense.

I've got a Fiio M11 Plus Ltd and a Astell and Kern AK PA10 running through ZMF Eikon (balanced 4.4mm in and out). The Fiio is running in Balanced LO mode, which lists a line level of 2.61V.
output power at 300 ohm is listed as : ≥88mW(300Ω /THD+N<1%)
ak pa10 is high gain, max current = 6.2vrms

so if we use P=V^2R then wouldn't it be P = (6.2^2) / 300 giving a result of 0.12813? multiply by 1000 to get milliwatts of 128. That doesn't sound right to me, but i'm not really sure.

This is just an exercise of curiosity more than anything.

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #22 of 25
Ok, so i've been going through this thread and making attempts to understand the maths, but the numbers i'm getting aren't making sense.

I've got a Fiio M11 Plus Ltd and a Astell and Kern AK PA10 running through ZMF Eikon (balanced 4.4mm in and out). The Fiio is running in Balanced LO mode, which lists a line level of 2.61V.

so if we use P=V^2R then wouldn't it be P = (6.2^2) / 300 giving a result of 0.12813? multiply by 1000 to get milliwatts of 128. That doesn't sound right to me, but i'm not really sure.

Just ball parking myself but outputting 128mW into 300 Ohms sounds about right in a high gain/balanced scenario for the PA-10. My 6XX's sound pretty lively out of it.

It's still a bit of a mystery to me what 6.2Vrms equates to wattage at 32 Ohms (the standard and what A&K should include, not to mention output at 300 Ohms...) but I think it's somewhere in the vicinity of 700-800mW @32Ohms. Of course I could be way off.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #23 of 25

Your math looks right to me.

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #24 of 25
It's still a bit of a mystery to me what 6.2Vrms equates to wattage at 32 Ohms (the standard and what A&K should include, not to mention output at 300 Ohms...) but I think it's somewhere in the vicinity of 700-800mW @32Ohms. Of course I could be way off.
Power is voltage squared divided by impedance. P = V2 / Z

Unlike power, voltage usually stays more or less constant no matter the impedance of the headphone, but begins to taper off at lower impedances. To make themselves look better, a manufacturer will generally want to give you the maximum voltage their device is capable of; so I'd assume that voltage drops below 32 ohms.

P = 6.22/32
P= 1.201W = 1,201mW

You could probably also just Google voltage power converters.

Sep 29, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #25 of 25
Power is voltage squared divided by impedance. P = V2 / Z

Unlike power, voltage usually stays more or less constant no matter the impedance of the headphone, but begins to taper off at lower impedances. To make themselves look better, a manufacturer will generally want to give you the maximum voltage their device is capable of; so I'd assume that voltage drops below 32 ohms.

P = 6.22/32
P= 1.201W = 1,201mW

You could probably also just Google voltage power converters.
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I was fairly far off. Nice to know that the PA-10 is putting out over a watt on high gain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back