Understanding my TV’s headphone/audio out jack
Sep 22, 2021 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

The Fourth Doctor

New Head-Fier
So I have a 2014 Sony TV that has a single multipurpose 3.5 mm analog out jack. In the menu settings for this output, you can set it for headphones, audio out, and wireless subwoofer transceiver.

Does anyone know what the difference between the headphone and audio out setting would be? Is it likely just a matter of variable vs fixed output?

I’m wondering whether or not I should plug my headphones directly into the TV (using the headphone setting) or plug my Schiit IEMagni headphone amp into the TV first (using the audio out setting).

I haven’t done enough comparisons to see if there’s real noticeable sound difference, as I can’t easily do A/B testing because I have to navigate the TV’s menu system each time I want to switch. The difference certainly isn’t as noticeable as plugging my headphones into my AVR’s headphone jack, which doesn’t sound the best.

I’m using easy to drive headphones, the AKG K371s. Basically I’m wondering if TV headphone jacks can be generally adequate, or if external amplification is preferred, even if the signal is coming out of the same jack.

Thanks!

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 5
I would expect that audio out would be a fixed line-level output suitable for connection to an external amp or receiver. The headphone out mode would be variable and possibly re-configured to drive the relatively low impedance of headphones. Or maybe not - it could just be fixed vs variable output.

I would guess that the TV's output is sufficient for the AKGs. The Magni definitely is. You can still do an A B test without fast switching. Just listen to a few different programs at the volume you intend to run. It should be pretty easy to tell if the TV's output stage runs out of steam.

I don't have a lot of experience with TV headphone jacks but the couple that I have used in the past on Toshiba, Samsung, and Sonys were adequate for driving the 'phones I was using then - Sony 7506, Koss Porta-Pro, and various Radio Shack cheapies. I didn't use phones much with the TVs but when I did I had long cheap cables (25'+) and I never remember thinking that the TV wasn't driving them well. Sound quality was not high on my list for TV audio at that time though.

Now that I've been bitten hard by the headphone audio monster though, I would absolutely use an external amp such as the Magni to drive the 'phones I use now - as much out of principle than anything else.

Sep 23, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #4 of 5
Either would work with the K371's. I have them and they are really easy to drive. Pretty much anything will drive them. I would guess the Magni will sound better though. You know the amp in that tv has to be complete garbage. If it has a variable RCA output I would use that with the magni.
Thanks! Why variable instead of fixed? I don't really know what the difference is, other than using variable would allow me to control volume with the TV's remote.

The way I see it, I have the following three connection options, all of which must use the 3.5 mm analog out jack of the TV:

-Set the TV's analog out jack to "headphone" and plug my headphones in directly into the jack.

-Set the TV's analog out jack to "headphone" and use a 3.5 mm-to-RCA adapter to plug my Schiit amp into the jack, and then plug my headphones into the Schiit.

-Set the TV's analog out jack to "audio out" and use a 3.5 mm-to-RCA adapter to plug my Schiit amp into the jack, and then plug my headphones into the Schiit.

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 5
Sorry it was 4 in morning when I made that post and I brain farted. I forgot the magni had a volume control lol. So it wouldn't matter if it was variable or fixed output. And if its all coming out of the headphone jack anyway I would try them all and see which you think sounds better and is easier for you to use on a daily basis. The outboard amp might sound better simply because it has more power. And it would be hard to say which setting to use without knowing the specs for the tv which I doubt they publish anyway. If using the "audio out" setting and an adapter outputs 2 volts then I would go with that because that is what the amp is designed to see from a dac or other type of line level output. If its less then you won't be getting full power out of the amp. Which might not matter with those headphones. If you are bored try them all and see which you like better. I would suggest before making any changes on the tv set up when using the amp to turn the volume all the way down on the amp first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back