Understanding balanced sources...
Feb 12, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 12
Head-Fi's search function should have helped you, too - balanced (symmetrical/differential) signaling has already been explained in quite a few threads.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 12, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 12
Yeah...I wanted phase inversion circuits and a little information about how to convert a source with "unbalanced" outputs to "balanced outputs".

Basically - can you use an external box that accepts unbalanced RCA inputs and converts to balanced outputs...after all this is about common ground (and therefore noise) elimination, using +/- phase signals for forward and return paths with cancellation...

Just been wondering...if this would qualify as a balanced source...

balancedsrc.JPG

You need a delay right? If + phase and - phase signals are out of phase with respect to time then it will be a mess??
confused.gif
They are already out of phase with respect to amplitude...

I havent really studied this in any sort of detail so please bear with my noobness
frown.gif

Feb 12, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Back to school to get your PHD!

J/K
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

I could do with another MS and this time I should try and make the most of it
tongue.gif

Thats the problem working part time when you are in school - forget all the "work experience" gained and all that crap. You miss out on so much...I could have sat through so many different courses, attended labs, conferences...

And I was working the golf course.

Yeah...I messed up big time
frown.gif

Feb 12, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 12
guru: Usually it doesn't really make sense to balancify an unbalanced output by additional circuitry, be it actively or by transformers, unless you really need that emi cancellation effect for long cable distances. And yes, timing is important, but one doesn't really use a delay - an easy way would be forking the unbalanced output signal into two opamps, one in normal one in inverting circuitry.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 13, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 12
As simple as 123!

1. Use the current unbalanced output as + output.
2. Add a passive network to the ground .This gives you a - output.
3. Now you have a true balanced output from a unbalanced output.

Feb 13, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Back to school to get your PHD!

J/K
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Oh. yeah. I forgot to mention, you might need a PhD to get #2 right in "As simple as 123!".

Feb 13, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 12
guru: Oh, it's really easy with a transformer based solution. Good audio transformers aren't cheap, though.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 13, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 12
Can a digital out be only unbalanced? Or can any digital out be balanced/unbalanced depending on the analog section?

Feb 13, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 12
From what Dr. Gilmore says - this alone is not sufficient

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Gilmore
If you wanted to do this you could use the
DRV134 driver chip just like ray does in his phono
preamp.

This is NOT however true balanced. The only
way to do true balanced is dual differential
dacs inside the cd player, where any abberation
in one dac is completely canceled out by the
other dac.

Feb 13, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyEPoD
Can a digital out be only unbalanced? Or can any digital out be balanced/unbalanced depending on the analog section?

It can be XLR balanced, Coaxial unbalanced, and TOSLINK Optical and it does not depend on what the analog section is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back