Underrated composers
Aug 22, 2011 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

aroldan

100+ Head-Fier
I created this thread to list the great but underrated composers of classical music and some of their must-to-know compositions. I start with the followings:

Antonio Rosetti (1750-1792): Bassoon and Horn Concerts
Jan Dismas Zelenka (1679-1745): Missa Purificacionis, Missa Votiva, Requiem
Joseph Leopold Eybler (1765-1846): Requiem

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 20
Elgar - Serenade for Strings
Khachaturian - Piano concertos
Bartok - Violin concertos

I have listened to the most beautiful violin piece in my opinion, but I hardly remember the composer's name. It's one of those songs that you just lie down on the grass and think about the wonderful things in life. 
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 20
Would it be The Lark Ascending by Vaughan Williams? I feel like I was in a green prairie when I listen to it.

Another composer for the list:

Johann Baptist Vanhal (1739-1813): Violin Concertos

Quote:

I have listened to the most beautiful violin piece in my opinion, but I hardly remember the composer's name. It's one of those songs that you just lie down on the grass and think about the wonderful things in life. 
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 20
Perhaps more unknown than underrated, the young Iceland native Ólafur Arnalds and his "...And They Have Escaped The Weight of Darkness."

...And They Have Escaped The Weight Of Darkness...And They Have Escaped The Weight Of Darkness

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 20
I think Charles Ives can't be praised enough. I consider him to be more representative of what's good about modern music than Stravinsky, and much more forward thinking.

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #13 of 20
Karl von Ordoñez (1734–1786): Symphonies.

Yesterday I bought a CD with some of his symphonies (he composed over seventy) and they are pretty original on its own. He was underrated in his time because of his social rank.

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
I created this thread to list the great but underrated composers of classical music and some of their must-to-know compositions. I start with the followings:

Jan Dismas Zelenka (1679-1745): Missa Purificacionis, Missa Votiva, Requiem

Zelenka's trio sonatas are pure bliss as well

I've always been an advocate for the "minor Bs" in British music -- Arnold Bax and Frank Bridge in particular.  Their music combines the free tonality and delicate atmosphere of French impressionism, with a British temperament and love of folklore.  Bax's orchestral tone poems and symphonies are feasts for the senses, while Bridge's Piano Trio #2 is easily the equal of Ravel's.

Carl Nielsen's symphonies are not as popular as I'd wish.  People who have already fallen into the spell of Sibelius should really check them out.

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #15 of 20
Thank you, excellent recommendations. I'll definitely have to check Carl Nielsen.

Quote:
Zelenka's trio sonatas are pure bliss as well

I've always been an advocate for the "minor Bs" in British music -- Arnold Bax and Frank Bridge in particular.  Their music combines the free tonality and delicate atmosphere of French impressionism, with a British temperament and love of folklore.  Bax's orchestral tone poems and symphonies are feasts for the senses, while Bridge's Piano Trio #2 is easily the equal of Ravel's.

Carl Nielsen's symphonies are not as popular as I'd wish.  People who have already fallen into the spell of Sibelius should really check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back