Underpower phones - bad or no?
May 21, 2008 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

djembeplay

100+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering... is underpowering a set of cans bad for the drivers? I know it can be terrible for speakers with overheating coils and whatever else may happen... but is the same true of headphones?

So, for example, if I plugged my K701s into something without much juice (like a portable player) is there actually a risk of damaging them as a result?

Thanks.

May 21, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 8
The only way it could be hamful is if you're turning up the volume so far that the amp is constantly clipping - causing the heat in the voice coils you mention, because clipped audio is too similar to DC.

I don't think that an underpowered portable headphone jack can put out enough juice to heat up a headphone coil, even if it were putting out straight DC. Don't worry about it.

May 21, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 8
The drivers get really frustrated because they cannot perform the way the should.
They get really mad after a while and finally they explode.
eek.gif

May 21, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 8
If you like that sound then continue....if not then don't....I vote for don't

May 22, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 8
It won't hurt anything. DAPs don't have enough to distort.

If you were clipping a home amp into some phones, that would fry something, but you'd have way too much volume coming out of there anyway and you'd blow the drivers even without clipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back