Underated classic rock album
Feb 7, 2007 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

rwest1389

500+ Head-Fier
Lately I've been getting into classic rock bands and their lesser-known albums. I'm lovin it and was wondering if yal have any suggestions? Id really like to expand my music collection.

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 52
Procol Harum: Shine on Brightly - hell, the band as a whole is underrated, IMO.

King Crimson: In the Wake of Poseidon - Often discounted as a rehash of "In the Court of the Crimson King", but there's a lot of good music to be heard.

AC/DC: Let There Be Rock - completely overshadowed by other Bon Scott era classics like Dirty Deeds and Highway to Hell.

Santana: Caravanserai - First Santana album to incorporate Jazz and with spectacular results. Underrated by the masses because it "wasn't Rock".

High Tide: Sea Shanties - Never heard of them? I hadn't either. But this is some gooooooood hard rock with a little bit of progressiveness to round out the package. Lineup is guitar/vocals, Drums, Bass... and electric fiddle!

Emerson, Lake and Palmer: Tarkus - Just doesn't seem to get the attention or love it deserves, but it's a fantastic album and worth the price of admission for the first track alone.

The Kinks: Kinda Kinks (and any "Marble Arch" recordings) - People seem to consider the Kinks a simple pop/garage band, but the influence of this band on contemporaries is undeniable and their lyrical content was excellent. Beyond that, Dave Davies just knows how to kick out some great 2 minute rock tunes.

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 52
I'm not really sure what OP means by "Classic Rock". Care to elaborate? I'm thinking stuff like The Who and Led Zep, none of whom have any "lesser-known" albums.

Feb 7, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not really sure what OP means by "Classic Rock". Care to elaborate? I'm thinking stuff like The Who and Led Zep, none of whom have any "lesser-known" albums.

I was thinking more like Led Zep but really anything from that era that you think is worth hearing. The Emerson, King Crimson, and Santana ideas are very good thanks.

Feb 7, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, if one were to discuss Pink Floyd for instance, everyone seems to chime in with Dark Side of the Moon first, but some of their earlier stuff is quite good and more interesting to me than their later stuff (like the Wall and DSOTM). So I believe this is what the OP is indicating, those sleeper albums that are not as strongly recommended as the "greats" but are still great in and of themselves.

Feb 7, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 52
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs

Feb 7, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 52
A nice Saxon boxed set just came out at a super-budget price: The Very Best of Saxon, 1979-88. It contains close to four hours of classic British heavy metal, and definitely needs to be heard by the metallically inclined. Not quite Led Zep, but only a couple of steps down the line.

Feb 7, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 52
You also won't go far wrong with Uriah Heep and Alan Parsons Project.

Feb 8, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 52
Rolling Stones - Black and Blue (Cherry Oh Baby = Stones doing reggae, what could be better)

Feb 8, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Emerson, Lake and Palmer: Tarkus - Just doesn't seem to get the attention or love it deserves, but it's a fantastic album and worth the price of admission for the first track alone.

Especially since the title track IS the album, and the other side is full of terrible songs.
icon10.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #13 of 52
Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath album. The title track is worth the price of the album. Just because it's Ozzy, don't overlook it. It is truly a classic and to many, a lesser-known one.

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #14 of 52
Contemporary classic rock albums that are amazing and underrated. Both a bit softer, but GREAT.

Tom Petty - Wildflowers
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia

I dont know anyone who has heard those albums and not loved them.

Feb 8, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #15 of 52
Jo Jo Guns self titled debut album.One of my personal favorites .And I love the single Run Run Run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back