Under-Rated Jazz
Jun 25, 2002 at 7:15 PM Post #16 of 40
Heh, seems my usage of the term under-rated is being jumped on
biggrin.gif

All I meant was that these aren't the albums that I hear people talking about much......on these boards, or even on-line. I hadn't been to that Blue Note forum yet, though
rolleyes.gif

Basically, I wanted to talk about jazz that isn't talked about. Coltrane is super, I think - even (especially!?) his late period work.....to deny the genius of Stellar Regions, I think, is as silly as denying the greatness of Kind Of Blue or any other "classic" album.

As for albums being a good part of any jazz collection - well, most classic albums that have been redone by RVG are, right?

I just wanted to create some hubbub about some jazz that deserves it, and I think I have. Woo-hoo......swing on, brothers.....(or not, I mean free jazz doesn't really swing, but......)
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #17 of 40
Oooooh, ooooh!!!

Vandermark is awesome!

I absolutely love the album Simpatico by the Vandermark 5, which I am still trying to buy on CD (I have a tape)......super super stuff.

Jun 25, 2002 at 7:25 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij:

Blues And The Abstract Truth - Oliver Nelson

Woah!! We played that chart in my college jazz band.

Jun 25, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #19 of 40
I second everyone's comments about Vandermark, Parker, and Drake.

Another option for buying this kind of music is Drimala. It's an on-line site (and record label) that has been around for a few years. Excellent selection of music, and at *very* good prices. Check them out at

http://www.drimala.com

And to repeat the now obligatory disclaimer, I don't work for Drimala (I just order music from them).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 8:59 AM Post #20 of 40
I saw someone mention Stanley Turrentine .

I can't figure out why so much of this guy's BN output is OOP. I've heard that the first re-issues of Turrentine albums back in the late 80s didn't sell well enough to justify re-issues now?

It's a shame, cuz for the relatively simple type of soul-jazz that he specialized in, few tenors could touch him. He also had a sound that the masses could like as well.

Jun 26, 2002 at 12:53 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by BenG
I saw someone mention Stanley Turrentine .

I can't figure out why so much of this guy's BN output is OOP. I've heard that the first re-issues of Turrentine albums back in the late 80s didn't sell well enough to justify re-issues now?

It's a shame, cuz for the relatively simple type of soul-jazz that he specialized in, few tenors could touch him. He also had a sound that the masses could like as well.

Have you heard the Turrentine box set that Mosaic Records came out with a short time back?

Jun 26, 2002 at 3:21 PM Post #23 of 40
Weird, just as I found this thread, Tina Brooks/Freddy Hubbard was on the radio!

What ever happened to Anthony Braxton?

In the mid-70's he did some very cool avant garde stuff as well as standard rep on non-standard instruments. If you like listening to bass on headphones, you simply must hear his "Ornithology" on contrabass clarinet!

Jun 26, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #24 of 40
Braxton's still at it--more than ever, in fact. It seems there isn't an issue of Cadence that doesn't have at least one Braxton release reviewed in it.

Braxton seems to be one of those guys that people are fairly divided on--some really like him, others don't. I really haven't listened to enough of his stuff to make a call one way or the other.

Jun 26, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ

Have you heard the Turrentine box set that Mosaic Records came out with a short time back?

I saw that, but it dosen't include his more heralded albums like "That's Where It's At", "Look Out" , or "Z.T.'s Blues", where he is the only horn and more the center of attention.

Jun 27, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by prisoner #6
Braxton's still at it--more than ever, in fact. It seems there isn't an issue of Cadence that doesn't have at least one Braxton release reviewed in it.

Braxton seems to be one of those guys that people are fairly divided on--some really like him, others don't. I really haven't listened to enough of his stuff to make a call one way or the other.

If you can find any of the Braxton stuff that he did for hatArt, pick it up, especially the two records that he did with the band he led with Gerry Hemmingway, Marilyn Crispell, and Mark Dresser. The two you should look for are Willisau (Quartet) 1991 (which is oop, I believe, but is supposed to be reissued by Hat in the fall), and Santa Cruz (which, unfortunately, is also oop). I have both and they are amazing--the interplay between the members of the Quartet is astounding. Just reissed, and also essential, is Dortmund (Quartet) 1976 live, also on Hat. George Lewis on trombone's interaction with Braxton is telepathic. Dave Holland plays bass.

Jun 27, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #27 of 40
Thanks for the Braxton update. I never hear him on the local jazz station or see his stuff in big music stores..

Jun 27, 2002 at 11:19 AM Post #28 of 40
Thanks for the recommendations, FCJ.

Braxton's one of those guys I have been meaning to listen to for a long time, but haven't yet (mainly because finding his CDs used is tough, and that's where I get most of my music). Others are:

Evan Parker
Alexander von Schlippenbach
Jemeel Moondoc
Paul Plimley
Misha Mengelberg

Any thoughts on these? What should I get?

Btw, I've heard a lot of good things about Version Soul. I definitely plan on picking that one up.

Jun 27, 2002 at 12:06 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Braxton's one of those guys I have been meaning to listen to for a long time, but haven't yet (mainly because finding his CDs used is tough, and that's where I get most of my music). Others are:

Evan Parker
Alexander von Schlippenbach
Jemeel Moondoc
Paul Plimley
Misha Mengelberg

Any thoughts on these? What should I get?

Btw, I've heard a lot of good things about Version Soul. I definitely plan on picking that one up.

First, Version Soul is one of the best things that I have picked up lately. Don't hesitate.

Second, tonight I will give a more extensive recommendation list for Evan Parker. He's one of my favorites--extremely challenging, but rewarding nonetheless. Like Braxton, he's recorded what seems to be 1000 records. He really doesn't repeat himself, either, and he always seeks challenges.

Right off the bat I would look for a quartet record that he did with Cecil Taylor called "Nailed." It's been released on FMP and you can find it at Cadence easily. Taylor alone needs another thread, and like Braxton elicits strong responses from people. But anyway, "Nailed" not only contains some of the strongtest recent Taylor, but some astouning playing from Evan Parker on tenor and soprano. Again, don't hesitate.

Parker has also experimented with electronics, successfully in my opinion. He's recorded two excellent sessions for ECM entitled "Drawn Inward" and "Toward the Margins" that use electronics extensively but are beautiful in a very different way.

Speaking of Alexander von Schlippenbach, he plays with Parker on a recent Leo release called "2x2=5" (again, Cadence will have it, although Leo's distribution is spotty). The Cd contains only one track of very intense free improvisation, and if you give it a chance I think it will provide rewarding.

I'm happy to provide the free improvisation recommendations. We need more listeners to support the music! I'll provide more Parker recommendations later.

Jun 27, 2002 at 12:10 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

One last thing--Braxton turns up a lot on ebay. I've found some of his better HatArt's there, for prices that were not wholly unreasonable, given that almost all the stuff he did for the label is oop. For example, I saw that a couple of weeks ago someone won "The Charlie Parker Project" by Braxton on Hat for about $50. That may sound high, but it's a two CD set that would have sold new for about $35, so $50 is not that bad. If you can find it, pick it up, as it gives a very different take on Bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back