Under-Rated Jazz
Jun 27, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #31 of 40
For anyone interested in modern guitar jazz, I strongly recommend Uberjam by John Scofield.

Jun 28, 2002 at 2:08 AM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
I'll provide more Parker recommendations later.

And here they are:

1. Evan Parker-"The Ayes Have It" (Emanem 4055). Two groups, one a trio and one a quartet. Parker on both soprano and tenor. More accessible than most of Parker's releases.

2. Evan Parker/George Haslam/John Edwards (Slam SLAMCD 314). Solo, duo, and trio recordings. Excellent Parker. George Haslam, whom I didn't know before this recording, is a revelation on Baritone and Tarogato.

3. Evan Parker/Barry Guy/Lawrence Casserley-"Dividuality." (Maya MCD0101) Great record, with Casserley on electronics. This sounds really great with Ety 4s's, BTW. Parker plays soprano throuought.

4. "Strings With Evan Parker" (Emanem 4302, 3CD set)-My favorite Parker CD, although he only plays on only 6 of the 22 pieces. The rest are played by a group of free improv strings, which may sound inaccessible but it's actually quite an enjoyable, but challenging, listen. The CD is worth it for "Double Headed Serpent" alone, where Parker's soprano burns for 28 minutes. Excellent.

Jun 28, 2002 at 11:24 AM Post #34 of 40
Thanks again for the recommendations, FCJ--I appreciate it. I'll put these on my (ever-expanding) list of stuff to get.

Yet one more addition to the "under-rated" thread:

Lester Bowie.

Even among avant-garde jazz fans, in my view Bowie often gets overlooked, even though he's such an important figure in challenging preconceptions about what jazz should be all about. He was particularly outspoken in challenging the Marsalis orthodoxy about what "counts" as real jazz.

A great example of this is the last album he recorded before his death - Lester Bowie Brass Fantasy, The Odyssey of Funk & Popular Music. What jazz player of his stature would have the cajones to cover "Two Become One" (that's right, the Spice Girls' hit) or Marilyn Manson's "Beautiful People" on the same album, let alone "Don't Cry for Me Argentina"? It's not entirely successful, of course, but that's beside the point - the man was trying to break new ground and thumb his nose at convention for the duration of his career.

He also was a heck of a performer. My wife and I had the good fortune of seeing him live a couple years before he died (in 1999). His passion for the music and his showmanship were something to behold. Even my wife, who is no great fan of avant-garde stuff, was won over by his charm and undeniable sincerity. His passing was a big loss to the jazz world.

Jun 28, 2002 at 11:53 AM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by prisoner #6
Thanks again for the recommendations, FCJ--I appreciate it. I'll put these on my (ever-expanding) list of stuff to get.

Yet one more addition to the "under-rated" thread:

Lester Bowie.

Even among avant-garde jazz fans, in my view Bowie often gets overlooked, even though he's such an important figure in challenging preconceptions about what jazz should be all about. He was particularly outspoken in challenging the Marsalis orthodoxy about what "counts" as real jazz.

A great example of this is the last album he recorded before his death - Lester Bowie Brass Fantasy, The Odyssey of Funk & Popular Music. What jazz player of his stature would have the cajones to cover "Two Become One" (that's right, the Spice Girls' hit) or Marilyn Manson's "Beautiful People" on the same album, let alone "Don't Cry for Me Argentina"? It's not entirely successful, of course, but that's beside the point - the man was trying to break new ground and thumb his nose at convention for the duration of his career.

He also was a heck of a performer. My wife and I had the good fortune of seeing him live a couple years before he died (in 1999). His passion for the music and his showmanship were something to behold. Even my wife, who is no great fan of avant-garde stuff, was won over by his charm and undeniable sincerity. His passing was a big loss to the jazz world.

Here's some more stuff to add to your ever-expanding list, Prisoner #6. . .

Have you heard anything that's be re-released, either on CD or vinyl, from the BYG/Actuel catalog? The Art Ensemble had a few records on the label, and Lester Bowie was a sideman for other artists. You can start with the three-CD sampler called "JazzActuel--a collection of avant garde/free jazz/psychedelia from the BYG/Actuel catalogue of 1969-1971." There are some great artists represented--Steve Lacy, the Art Ensemble of Chicago, Don Cherry, Jimmy Lyons, SunRa, Archie Shepp, Sonny Sharrock, and Archie Shepp. I'm generally not a big fan of anthologies, but this one is essential. It has led me to purchase a few of the artist's work represted on the set; most of what has been re-released is on vinyl. Great stuff.

Jun 28, 2002 at 12:10 PM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Here's some more stuff to add to your ever-expanding list, Prisoner #6. . .

Have you heard anything that's be re-released, either on CD or vinyl, from the BYG/Actuel catalog? The Art Ensemble had a few records on the label, and Lester Bowie was a sideman for other artists. You can start with the three-CD sampler called "JazzActuel--a collection of avant garde/free jazz/psychedelia from the BYG/Actuel catalogue of 1969-1971." There are some great artists represented--Steve Lacy, the Art Ensemble of Chicago, Don Cherry, Jimmy Lyons, SunRa, Archie Shepp, Sonny Sharrock, and Archie Shepp. I'm generally not a big fan of anthologies, but this one is essential. It has led me to purchase a few of the artist's work represted on the set; most of what has been re-released is on vinyl. Great stuff.

This sounds really cool. Where would I find this set, though? I did a quick search of the Cadence catalog and couldn't find it there.

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:41 PM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by prisoner #6

Thanks Milestones. I hadn't heard of this site before--it looks pretty good.

I've ordered from them before. They are a good retailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back