Under Consideration: Beyer DT770 and HeadRoom Micro
Feb 9, 2007 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EvilGnome6

New Head-Fier
I currently have a HeadRoom TotalAirHead (old version) driving the Beyer DT250-80. I'm quite pleased with the sound but I'm looking for something with a little more bass and better overall quality.

After much research, I think I've settled on the Beyer DT770 and the HeadRoom Micro but I wanted to get some more input before I take the plunge.

My new cans should be sealed as I use them at work and I don't want to disrupt my coworkers. This rules out some alternatives like the HD650 that might fit my musical tastes. Most of my listening is Progressive Rock (Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis, Porcupine Tree, Yes, etc, etc).

Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks,

-Mike...

Feb 9, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 8
For some reason, my favorite amp for my DT770 is my MicroAmp even though I have lots of other amps for me to listen to. And your coworkers should appreciate quietness of DT770, not leaking any considerable amount of music outside of your headphone. MicroAmp just makes my DT770 bass that much better without over emphasizing. I like this combo better than HD600/MicroAmp combo sound signature.

Feb 9, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 8
If you have the funds I think you should go straight to the Darth Beyers(long wait though)- especially if this idea is already stiring. I believe you can buy the DT-770/80 from Larry for $145+mods(over $220??).

I prefer the DT-770 with a solid state amp. The Micro Amp drives the DT-770 with power to spare and does it very well.

Feb 10, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 8
"If you have the funds I think you should go straight to the Darth Beyers(long wait though)"

I have the funds... Not sure if I have the patience
smily_headphones1.gif

Do the Darth Beyers isolate more with the wood covers than the stock covers? I really don't want more isolation.

I was also wondering about the bass response on the DT770 at low volume levels. I don't listen very loud so I can still be aware of my surroundings (and not go deaf in the long run).

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGnome6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"If you have the funds I think you should go straight to the Darth Beyers(long wait though)"

I have the funds... Not sure if I have the patience
smily_headphones1.gif

Do the Darth Beyers isolate more with the wood covers than the stock covers? I really don't want more isolation.

I was also wondering about the bass response on the DT770 at low volume levels. I don't listen very loud so I can still be aware of my surroundings (and not go deaf in the long run).

I've never compared a stock 770 to DB but I doubt that there's any difference in the isolation, atleast not easily detectable.

At low volumes, say around 60 ~ 65 dB. , you should still hear enough bass but at around 80 dB+ is where the fun starts (
basshead.gif
) (had to get that in there).

After Larry does his magic there are extra holes left from where the old wires used to feed into the plastic housing. You can use these holes to effectively tune them. Open holes= more bass. I've decided that I like the largest hole on each cup covered, it still allows for big bass but also has a tighter sound. With both holes on each cup covered, the bass seems to have a distant quality (could be just my imagination).

At low volumes you might prefer the holes to be open, this all depends on the amount of bass in the music of course.

If you can't wait for the DB just buy them stock and listen for a few weeks to be sure they're what you want. If you do get them Darthed you might appreciate it even more.

I bought my DT-770 at Guitar Center for around $160 I think, listened to them for a few weeks then sent them to Larry. I'm not sure if you can still find the old DT-770/80??

Feb 12, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I think I will go for the Stock DT770 and the HeadRoom Micro. It sounds like it will be a good combination and will fit my needs (for now, of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back