Under $20?
Mar 5, 2009 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

scyper

New Head-Fier
What would you guys recommend for earphones/earbuds/IEMs under $20? ($25 is also doable if that makes a huge difference)

I would rather not have headphones because I like to use my earphones in class, etc. Headphones are too big and obvious.

Thank you!

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 22
No contest. At the price range you're looking at, the Soundmagic PL30. Pretty much the best at the price and they outperform other earphones that are more expensive. I have a pair myself and I love them.

Pair them with a Fiio amp and you've got a great portable rig. They still sound great unamped though. Bear in mind that the PL30s require some burn-in to reach their full potential.

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 22
Inb4someonesays KSC75.

They're clip ons, though, so it may not be for you.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #7 of 22
Under $20? You can't really go wrong with any phone that is not a fake.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #8 of 22
Sennheiser MX400, Creative EP-630...

if u like bass then EP630 is best

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #10 of 22
I can't comment on the EP630 as I haven't heard them. I think the ratings of the PL30s in the review that mark2410 mentioned don't really convey how good a value they are for their price. While they might be outclassed if you are willing to spend $50 as mentioned in the review, I would say that there are quite a few earphones that cost $50 or more which perform worse than the PL30s. To give you some idea, these are some of the more mass market earphones I have that I'm comparing them to:

1) Sony MDR-EX82 (Pack-ins with my Sony A829 player)
2) Panasonic RP-HJE70
3) Panasonic RP-HJE550

I'm not saying those are terrible in any way but I actually prefer my PL30s to those.

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the PL30 compare with the PK3 and super.fi 3??

I can't compare them to the PK3s because I pretty much stick to iems and canalphones. I've never heard the Superfi 3s, but I own a pair Superfi 5 Pros with the UM2 cables. It's not really a fair comparison because of the price difference and the 5 Pros obviously trounce the PL30s. But, for what it's worth, I wasn't disappointed with the PL30s and they are certainly much more comfortable.

And for the price they're going at, at least you've only burnt $20-$25 if it turns out you hate them.

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't comment on the EP630 as I haven't heard them. I think the ratings of the PL30s in the review that mark2410 mentioned don't really convey how good a value they are for their price. While they might be outclassed if you are willing to spend $50 as mentioned in the review, I would say that there are quite a few earphones that cost $50 or more which perform worse than the PL30s. To give you some idea, these are some of the more mass market earphones I have that I'm comparing them to:

1) Sony MDR-EX82 (Pack-ins with my Sony A829 player)
2) Panasonic RP-HJE70
3) Panasonic RP-HJE550

I'm not saying those are terrible in any way but I actually prefer my PL30s to those.

oh yeah the ep630 are really very very good value, on a quick 10 min a b a b a b test with the cx300 i have when i first got them i couldnt really any difference. i think play in the uk are doing them for £10 delivered. for that kind of money they are stunning value.

they would also be quite easy for you to hide in your ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back