Under 120$ Cans for my Music choice.
Sep 1, 2009 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Cpsmith89

New Head-Fier
I am caught up between a few pairs of headphones for the music i listen to. I have listed everything out in what i think is an easy to read format.

MUSIC-
Techno (Daft Punk, DeadMau5, Pendulum, DJ Tiesto, DJ Icey)
Classical (Piano, Violin, you know. Classical)
Reggae/Dub (Half Pint, Sublime, Pepper, Slightly Stoopid, Some of The Clash, Sly and Robbie)
And some other Random bands like Ratatat, Coldplay, Band of Horses.

NEEDS-
Every Detail needs to be heard. I love detail, hearing sounds that i wouldnt hear otherwise. Especially in reggae alot of sounds are hidden.
Mid Range Bass (not slamming but good enough for bass guitars to stand out. i hate punchy rap-like bass.)

SOURCE-
Ipod Amped with FIIO E3
Sony Vaio laptop no special sound card.

I was considering the ATH M50 and the Denon D1001.

Is the bass really punchy on the M50? How is the detail?

Any others i should be considering? They will need to be portable to some extent, i do have a backpack.

THANK YOU.

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsmith89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well if the detail is better in another can ill go with that.

portability isn't my main concern. thanks for your input though.

FWIR, the JVC HA-DX3 is quite detailed, but it probably should be amped with something better than the E3.

The "Alienware Ozma" headphones sell for under $85 shipped on eBay, and they're the same as Ultrasone's HFI550. Search "HFI550" for more info.

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 22
I looked into the DX3 and the DX1 and they look good but im looking for a more closed can with comfort.

the AKG MKII look really good but they are a bit out of my price range and need to be amped so that would make them even more out of that range.

Anything else?

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SRH840

FWIR this is your best option...

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsmith89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Techno (Daft Punk, DeadMau5, Pendulum, DJ Tiesto, DJ Icey)
Classical (Piano, Violin, you know. Classical)

One extreme to the other... techno needs bass detail while classical detailed highs. You won't find both in a headphone under $120 and running from your iPod/laptop you're not going to get the cleanest sound in the world so I'd make do with an all-rounder. JVC's DX3 are bass light from what I've heard, Alienware Ozma or similar priced Ultrasone might be your best bet.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One extreme to the other... techno needs bass detail while classical detailed highs. You won't find both in a headphone under $120 and running from your iPod/laptop you're not going to get the cleanest sound in the world so I'd make do with an all-rounder. JVC's DX3 are bass light from what I've heard, Alienware Ozma or similar priced Ultrasone might be your best bet.

Hmm, thank you. If i had to pick one it would be the techno. I plan on adding an amp later on but i havent really searched into them yet.

I like the shures mentioned above. Any coupons available on them? kind of out of my range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd get the Shures for myself as a backup can if they didn't give off the HD280 vibe...

What is that supposed to mean?

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #13 of 22
He means the Shure SRH840 looks too much like the Sennheiser HD280.

As for the HA-DX3 recommendation, yes they're extremely detailed and no they will not sound good out of a portable source.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He means the Shure SRH840 looks too much like the Sennheiser HD280.

As for the HA-DX3 recommendation, yes they're extremely detailed and no they will not sound good out of a portable source.

yea i know, i have a fiio amp but these mainly will be home use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, get the SRH440.

Hmm, those are in my price range. I will look up some info on them.

Thanks for all of the input so far. Im trying to decide between the SRH440 and the HA-DX3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back