Under $100 USD.. what can I do??
Jan 24, 2002 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Juls

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I consider myself a novice in this area,
But I enjoy music and I know what sounds good and what doesn't, thing is I can't be shelling out hundreds of dollars to find out what sounds good! so thats why I need to ask you guys what a good all rounder headphone would cost around or under $100 USD (I'm in AUS) .

I've looked at the Sennheiser HD500
and a few others..
I'm not sure what the deal is under $100, I know for the ultimate there is few that come close to this HD600 you all talk about..
But heck thats like $680 Australian Dollars.. so thats not economical or practical at this point in time.

I prefer to listen to Crystal Method, Sash, Darude, mostly those types of music, however occasionally some Linkin Park, Papa Roach and I really like to watch DVD's on my Comp using headphones.

I Currently have the Philips HP160's (don't laugh!)
and when I got these I thought they where the ultimate, but one of my friends cranked them up really loud while they where still new and ruined them.. They still work ok I guess.

But I wanna move up.
I prefer a clear crisp sound, with good mid to high extensions.
Bass is good, but I prefer it to be warm and smooth without being overwelming, Punchy bass doesn't excite me, but Strong mid-top is a must. I like to hear the music and it's definition.

I know It sounds like I'm asking alot for under 100 bucks..
but heck why not try, maybe someone knows something.
anything will be better than what I have, I don't mind fidling with EQ's to get it right, but the speaker must be good in the first place or this kinda is useless.

Please let me know what you guys know before I shell out and waste money.

Thankyou for your time,
any help is appreciated.

kind regards
Juls

Jan 24, 2002 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 30
why didn't anyone tell me about them before i ordered the stupid ksc-50's
frown.gif

Jan 24, 2002 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 30
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I don't mind my Philips I have now, but they lack just a bit of everything.. They are good in general with minor tweeking I can make them sound decent..

But I really want something a bit broader sounding.
something that brings the music really too life.

I'm prepared to buy from the US online.

but it would be nice to be able to see and or try some here in Australia.

I'll think about the Philips.
I've just looked at the Grado SR60's about $140 AUS ($70 USD)
I can afford that, but no idea if they are worth it.

thanks again
regards
Juls

Jan 24, 2002 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 30
BTW I'd rather not have to shell out for an amp.

I have this little computer speaker amp (that runs my 2 ch and sub system) that will see most of the work my new headphones that I hope to buy will do.

I usually listen to MP3's and CD's through my comp, and use the EQ in Windows media player 7 or Winamp..
depends on what sort of sound I'm after since both softwares sound quite different and offer different area's of tuning for each type of music I listen to.

regards
Juls

Jan 24, 2002 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 30
I've looked at the SR80's but from what I read I understand that you really need a Amp to get the best from SR80's but the SR60 actually performs better without an amp than the 80's do.

be this so I don't know?
but if it is, would it not be better to save the few dollars on the SR60 than spend more on the 80's then have to shell out for an amp?

anybody else experienced this,
it's just what I read (on quite a few different websites)

I'm looking to purchase in the not too distant future.

the Grados seem to be the go..

thanks for your input
regards
Juls

Jan 24, 2002 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 30
Good to see another Perth headphone user
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't had a chance to hear the HP890s yet, but I've read many good things about them.. especially considering they cost a lot less here than they do in the US (?)

Same goes for Beyerdynamic - quite cheap in oz.

As for an amp, that's a more expensive matter - I was quoted $600AU for a creek obh-11se, and that's from a place that didn't have one for me to listen to
frown.gif

Jan 24, 2002 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 30
yeah.. I hear yah..

I think I'll be buying online soon as I can find a online store that has decent reliable Shipping rates to AUS..
and uses Regular American post (with special instructions)

so I can avoid the nuisance 10-20 bucks tax when it hits the country.

For $140 + post so about $160 I guess I can get a set of SR60's .. which from what I read are worth every cent..

Juls

Jan 24, 2002 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 30
just be careful - grados aren't for everyone and they are uncomfortable.

I'd strongly suggest finding somewhere to demo them before buying.

Jan 24, 2002 at 2:08 PM Post #11 of 30
Yes,

but where in perth?

Jan 24, 2002 at 2:24 PM Post #12 of 30
that I can't help you with, sorry
frown.gif

I know places to hear sennheiser, akg, koss and beyer, but I haven't found anywhere with a pair of philips hp890s, any grado or sony 7506s.

Jan 24, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 30
yeah I'll look into it..

my email is juls@rc-cars.net

if you wanna email me sometime down the track to see if I got some..I'll try to let you know if I find somewhere with some Grado's.

thanks dude.

Juls

Jan 24, 2002 at 2:53 PM Post #14 of 30
You shouldn't have much trouble driving the SR-80's with a portable. There seems to be some disagreement on this matter and it is likely they would sound better through the use of an amp but I am having no trouble driving these phones with a Rio Volt.
My suggestion would be to listen to Grados before buying or at the very least purchasing from a dealer with a liberal return policy. As stated earlier, the Grados sound does not appeal to all.

Jan 24, 2002 at 3:10 PM Post #15 of 30
First, I disagree that the SR-80s require an amp to sound better than the SR-60s. The SR-80s sound better than the SR-60s even out of a cheap portable player. An amp improves the sound of the SR-80s moreso than the SR-60s, but the SR-80s even without an amp still sound better.

Second, I wouldn't recommend Grado if you haven't tried them already. They are fairly uncomfortable compared with most other choices, and the cord gets twisted rather easily due to the free-rotating drivers. I owned a pair of SR-80s and loved the sound, but eventually the lack of comfort and annoyance with the twisty cord convinced me to get rid of them. Some people swear by their Grados and are willing to overlook these negatives, but while I did like their sound, I like the sound of my Sennheisers more.

Finally, I'd like to recommend the Koss KSC-35s as an excellent under-$100 choice. They're comfortable. They sound great. They cost about $30. The only problem is that I don't know where you could obtain a pair in Perth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back