Undecided if I should buy a Amp
Jan 15, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MorganC14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was originally using a Denon AVR-1709 with my HD-650s, and running my CD player through it via Optical in. I was really pleased with it, and when I ordered the headphone amp in my price range that I wanted (Little Dot Mk V), I was a little nervous about how much performance increase I would get for the money.

It is huge.

I'm relatively new to this (long time reader, recently started posting
biggrin.gif
), but from what I have experienced a good Receiver will be enjoyable to listen to, but I think you'll be surprised by what you're missing with an amp, even an entry level one. While I now run my CD player (A Denon DVD-2910) straight through to the amp via line out, instead of amplifying through the receiver, the bass doesn't need adjusting. It's just fantastic.

Through a receiver, I've had a good experience. Through an amp from source, I've had a fantastic experience.

Good for you...and thanks for that. Oh...and if no one has said it yet, welcome to Head-Fi...

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #17 of 24
I've decided on a HotUsb1. Looks like the best solution in my price range and has great reviews. Looks like most of my serious listening will be from the pc then.

The AstroMixamp is just for gaming and movies. If it doesnt sound better than my receiver its going back.

thanks everyone

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #18 of 24
amps really bring out the best in a headphone.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #19 of 24
I was looking at some of the sound cards under 200 bucks and honestly I don't really know what I'm doing yet.

Will the hotusb1 dac/amp be a good start for me? It looks simpler than messing with internal sound cards. I'm not sure how picky I will be about audio but it seems to be something good enough that I should be happy with for a long time.

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MorganC14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Through a receiver, I've had a good experience. Through an amp from source, I've had a fantastic experience.

Extremely well put! I couldn't have summarized it any better myself.

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #21 of 24
I'm still in the process of breaking in my new headphones(hd-555) and amp(hotusb1). I am happy with everything so far. I would say each device made a subtle but important difference. Together its a noticeable upgrade against the integrated card on my computer and px 100 headphones. The amp gives the music more of a punch and I can make out more details.

I'm really curious now about how much better some of the really high end gear would sound. To me it just doesn't seem like anything could sound better because what I have now is the best that I've ever heard. Did that even make sense?

I'm going to start filling up the piggy bank now in case I become more discerning in the future. Thank you everyone for helping me get started. I'm going to enjoy some tunes now.

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #22 of 24
If you like 5.1 on your headphones you should look into a Dolby headphone setup.On the Peorlharbor movie brown cover there is a Dolby headphone soundtrack in the audio section.using just your 2.0 amp with a DVD player you can watch the entire movie in 5.1 on headphones.here is a clip of it.
YouTube - Dolby Headphone: Pearl Harbor Sequence (Hi-Fi)
There is also one on the special edition of Terminator 2.
If you like this it can be had with a Harmenkarden receiver or the software PowerDVD for the PC and I think in the newer versions of Win DVD.Just look for this symbol
http://broadcastengineering.com/news...y_Headphone250

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #23 of 24
I was interested in the idea of 5.1 through headphones so I also bought the astro mixamp. I first found out about the mixamp over on avs forums in the headphone thread where it had rave reviews for gaming.

With Dolby Headphone turned on everything sounds echoey.
It also takes away important bass effects that I can still hear through my receiver. I'm sending it back and staying with my receiver for now. Pc solutions sound neat for DH but I was looking for a quality standalone box I could use for the tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back