"Unclean" vocalists: Who are your favourites?
Mar 30, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #16 of 45
Jens Kidman.
More barking than growling, but awesome delivery regardless.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best I have ever heard "were" by Danny Davey aka Danny Filth of Cradle of Filth...........for first few albums only, voice is gone now except for heavy rasp.

But in his prime he could go from very low gutteral growl to extreme high pitch banshee wail that could crack glass.......all in the same sentence! Also had wide range of vocal speeds so could produce the widest most diverse range of vocals for anyone in metal

x2

some of the uncredited guys from a lot of whitehouse's work, some insane gutteral/poltergeist channeling sounding voices in there

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best I have ever heard "were" by Danny Davey aka Danny Filth of Cradle of Filth...........for first few albums only, voice is gone now except for heavy rasp.

But in his prime he could go from very low gutteral growl to extreme high pitch banshee wail that could crack glass.......all in the same sentence! Also had wide range of vocal speeds so could produce the widest most diverse range of vocals for anyone in metal

X3. While Dani Filths voice is usually mocked as "cat raping" in metal circles, I agree that his range is incredible. Especially his banshee wail is incredibly shivering.

I think the peak of his vocal career is in From Cradle To Enslave song, it has it all perfectly mixed. Perhaps not the highest wailing like in older albums, but much more powerfull and ghastly (mixing trick I guess?). Pretty much only song from CoF I listen actively also.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tom Waits, anyone?

my flat mate has introduced me to Mr Waits, liking so far
k701smile.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mikael Akerfeldt.
biggrin.gif
My avatar commands it.

Also, why no mention yet of Angela Gossow? (Arch Enemy)

just about to mention her... in fact, i don't know any other female vocalist who do this growling thing.

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #23 of 45
I don't know about growling, but I can think of a lot of hardcore and metal bands with female leads... Punch and iwrestledabearonce immediately come to mind.

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #24 of 45
Angela Gossow's different... but different doesn't have to mean good. I'm not a fan, personally.

I'm a big fan of the black metal rasp. Of the few I've heard, I'm a big fan of:
Shagrath (Dimmu Borgir, have only heard early stuff)
Jon Nödtveidt (Dissection)

Also
I love Mikael Akfeldt's (Opeth) early stuff.
Mike Patton (Faith No More) is amazing.
Maynard Keenan (Tool) is even more amazing.

Can't stand cookie monster
frown.gif
. It's an unfortunate byproduct of a genre I'm really enjoying. But I can look past it.

Chrissy Amphlett was the singer for the Divinyls, and yes, she was pretty damn good at what she did.

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #27 of 45
Have always really liked Abbath's vocals from Immortal.

Mar 31, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't stand cookie monster
frown.gif
. It's an unfortunate byproduct of a genre I'm really enjoying. But I can look past it.

I feel the same way. Although I agree with Oggranak that some appropriately used growling/screaming can really add some punch at the right times.

Devin Townsend, Mikael Akerfeldt, and Dustin Kensrue (Thrice) are my favorites.

Neurosis is probably the only band I've heard with harsh vocals that I actually prefer over clean ones. Scott Kelly and Steve Von Till's raw voices just make perfect sense with that band (and they are comprehensible, which I appreciate).

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tom Waits, anyone?

Louis Armstrong, anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back