Unbelievable F1 Season End (2008)
Nov 3, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #16 of 32
I see many of you support Lewis Hamilton. Personally, i just felt sad that since Massa was about to win, he lost it at the last moment.

But yesterday's race was one of the best.( i've only watched 3 races so far ) There was so many nice overtakes. Really exciting.
I never knew much about Vertell but after yesterday's race, i'm thinking that hes damn good!

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #17 of 32
Amazing 900ish laps in the season and it comes down to the last half of the last lap to seperate two superb drivers. Congratulations to Hamilton and commiserations to Massa.

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #19 of 32
Me Mum's a Brit and my Pa's an Italian, I'm happy with the outcome.

Gotta remember that Ferrari still got the Constructors Championship!

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #20 of 32
Sorry for Massa...and Hamilton will probably be the F1 champion over the next sesons.

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #21 of 32
As good as Hamilton is, I just don't necessarily see him dominating. If nothing else, Alonso has shown this year just how good he really is, managing to outperform many, despite lesser equipment. If Massa reduces the number of dumb mistakes, he can do even better. And where was Raikkonen, asleep at the wheel most of this season? Not to mention the rise of Vettel and Kubica. Hamilton is great, but he is hardly alone.

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't give a damn what race the guy is, but I know he might be the most talented driver in history.

That being said, this makes two consecutive years that he's blown a sizable lead at the end of the season. That is so pathetic.

That's quite a stretch. He may eventually prove over time to be qualified for that title, but as it stands now he is nowhere close to Schumacher/Senna status.

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #23 of 32
Sadly I completely missed yesterdays race.
Sounds like its was quite exciting until the end though. Just the way I like them.
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As good as Hamilton is, I just don't necessarily see him dominating. If nothing else, Alonso has shown this year just how good he really is, managing to outperform many, despite lesser equipment. If Massa reduces the number of dumb mistakes, he can do even better. And where was Raikkonen, asleep at the wheel most of this season? Not to mention the rise of Vettel and Kubica. Hamilton is great, but he is hardly alone.

I agree. I think Alonso really wants it bad and given a better car, he would have taken it to them. Massa has started to show (even in my eyes) that he is maturing as a racer. Vettel and Kubica demonstrated that they will be forces to be reckoned with in the future.

Hamilton is a good driver. But he is also in one of the top two cars. His greatness will be determined by his ability to back up his performance each year.

Many people are critical of the FIA looking at rules that will even the playing field. I applaud the move. I want to watch racing where almost anybody can win. I want racing where the win is equally determined by driving ability rather than primarily by dollars. I love wet races. They offer a rare chance for the slower teams to have a red hot go. Vettel, anybody?

Roll on next season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly I completely missed yesterdays race.
Sounds like its was quite exciting until the end though. Just the way I like them.
biggrin.gif

It was the best final race to any series that I have seen in a very long time. It even had me on the edge of my seat, which is a very rare occasion.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many people are critical of the FIA looking at rules that will even the playing field. I applaud the move. I want to watch racing where almost anybody can win. I want racing where the win is equally determined by driving ability rather than primarily by dollars. I love wet races. They offer a rare chance for the slower teams to have a red hot go. Vettel, anybody?

While I'd agree that I love the unpredictability of wet races, getting to heavy-handed with design regulations and/or parameters could effectively turn F1 into IRL without ovals. Part of the appeal to me of F1 and LM racing are the technological advancements and competition to create the best car. I like the idea of closer competition between the teams, however, not at the expense of what makes them such different teams. If a Ferrari and Toyota became different in paint scheme only, would it not destroy to a large extent what makes the inter-team rivalries as exciting as they are?

To look at it another way, the IRL was launched primarily to bring down costs and let the less well funded teams compete better. What has resulted? Largely the collapse of the sport, from what it once was, a series that could draw top drivers AWAY from F1. I used to love CART back in the good ol' days of Mario, Michael, Mansell, and Fittipaldi. Now I could absolutely care less about US open-wheel racing, even the Indy 500 which I used to watch rabidly.

I just really, really hope that F1 does not wander down the same path, and dilute the competition to the point that interest wanes. If anything, I'd rather see a loosening/changing of the rules to encourage greater innovation in a time where great advancements in automobiles are seriously needed.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #26 of 32
Well done Hamilton, and great for the UK! I'm not a big racing fan, in fact never usually watch it, but managed to catch the end of the race and it was quite exciting!

Nov 4, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was the best final race to any series that I have seen in a very long time. It even had me on the edge of my seat, which is a very rare occasion.

Grrr, how could I miss that one!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #28 of 32
Amazing Race. Maybe the best I have seen. I was actually rooting for Massa because this may be his only year, because of the poor season by Raikkonen and being the second driver in the team he may not get as many chances as the main driver. Which is the not the case for Hamilton, since he is the main driver in the McLaren and Kovalainen is no where as fast as Hamilton, McLaren is obviously going to support Hamilton more. This year strategy wise Hamilton got the best and most of the time Kovalainen had heavy fuel loads. Which may have compromised his races. I also liked Massa after the race being so emotional in losing the title.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I'd agree that I love the unpredictability of wet races, getting to heavy-handed with design regulations and/or parameters could effectively turn F1 into IRL without ovals. Part of the appeal to me of F1 and LM racing are the technological advancements and competition to create the best car. I like the idea of closer competition between the teams, however, not at the expense of what makes them such different teams. If a Ferrari and Toyota became different in paint scheme only, would it not destroy to a large extent what makes the inter-team rivalries as exciting as they are?

To look at it another way, the IRL was launched primarily to bring down costs and let the less well funded teams compete better. What has resulted? Largely the collapse of the sport, from what it once was, a series that could draw top drivers AWAY from F1. I used to love CART back in the good ol' days of Mario, Michael, Mansell, and Fittipaldi. Now I could absolutely care less about US open-wheel racing, even the Indy 500 which I used to watch rabidly.

I just really, really hope that F1 does not wander down the same path, and dilute the competition to the point that interest wanes. If anything, I'd rather see a loosening/changing of the rules to encourage greater innovation in a time where great advancements in automobiles are seriously needed.

Agreed. It is a fine line. I don't yearn for a one make (or few make) F1 series. I would like to see the FIA cap the aero advancements, and get rid of the silly tire rules.

In general terms, I applaud the FIAs attempts to reduce costs. There are vacant grid spots now, as I understand, and the increasing costs will only serve to reduce the field even more.

In my opinion, I would rather see more teams competing for a lower cost and on a more level playing field rather than fewer teams spending more money. The trick is to find the right balance.

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #30 of 32
it was an epic end.

I was rooting for Massa (think I was the only person in the Uk
normal_smile .gif
) because for some reason I can't like hamilton. I think its the fact he came out of nowhere and almost won in his first season, and the fact I don't like his attitude sometimes.

To be fair though, he's done brilliantly, although I think the brittish press and commentators seem to forget there's another 20 or so drivers out there sometimes, especially James Allen from ITV. I also disagree with some of the newspapers comparing him to Senna and Fangio by saying he scored more points than them in his first 25 races or soemthing, when I know Senna definately didn't start in a winning car.

Enough bashing of Hamilton from me anyway, he did a fantastic job and thouroughly deserves it, I think its just the media (and probably a bit of jealousy
confused_face.gif
) that puts me off him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back