Unbalanced input for balanced output?
Nov 3, 2009 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

earthpeople

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking to do something like this, but my DAC only has RCA outputs. If I made an amp using two boards like sunneebear did as well as a 4pin XLR output, but used RCA input, would it be no better than if I just made a single-ended amp?

And also, if I go down that route, I would want make an adapter for the XLR to 6.3mm. I'm not exactly sure how to wire it though. Do I just connect the two negatives together?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
I also posted this in the DIY section, but figured I may ask here as well.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 7
It would be no different than a single ended amp. A balanced amp has four channels, each amplifying a signal. You need a + voltage and a - voltage for each channel (R & L) if you just build a 4 channel amp without +/- R&L channels, it isn't balanced in any way.

There are ways to use an unbalanced source with a balanced amp, but they require a circuit which takes the signal from the unbalanced source and converts it into a signal and an inverse signal. Also they don't make a whole lot of sense. If you want balanced go balanced for real.

The bottom line is that, if you want to go balanced, buy a balanced source. I believe that the Cambridge DACmagic is a truly balanced source and it comes in at only about $400.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 7
Hm, that's what I had suspected. Thanks for clarifying.

Is it possible to have balanced without using XLR? For instance, I've read that the emu 0404 USB has balanced output, but it's 1/4" out. Am I reading something wrong or is it actually balanced?

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to have balanced without using XLR? For instance, I've read that the emu 0404 USB has balanced output, but it's 1/4" out. Am I reading something wrong or is it actually balanced?

You can do balanced on 1/4" TRS, and this is commonly done on semi-pro gear.

Edit: From the manual:

Use TS unbalanced cables for consumer-level line signals and TRS balanced
cables for pro-level line signals. Balanced cables provide +6dB more output.

So it seems that the 1/4" outs are indeed balanced on the 0404. However the 1/8" stereo output is not.

se

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 7
The LA Audio DBT+ is a device that will convert unbalanced RCA to balanced XLR. The guide shows how to do it.

LA Audio

Search B and H audio for "unbalanced to balanced" and you will come up with a lot of solutions.

But as mentioned above, rather than add another device to the chain it may be better to go unbalanced the whole way. Or forget about it. Do you have ground loop hum? If not there should not be much benefit.

XLR is very good for multiple long crisscrossing audio cable runs like in a professional situation but I have found that going balanced in a nice neat personal setup did not benefit me.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 7
For that price he might as well just buy a Little Dot DAC_I

It has XLR outputs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back