Unamped Zune headphone advice
May 20, 2009 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

rockysocky

New Head-Fier
My post below is going to be kinda long so I'll write a quick summary if you don't have time to read all the details (but please do if you have the time). This is what I'm looking for in a set of headphones:

Source Material: Zune 120 GB primarily loaded with 192 Kbps files

Budget: $300 but cheaper the better

Open/Closed: don't care

Listening prefs: I'm sensitive to treble, would like a neutral headphone that accentuates bass somewhat since I sometimes have trouble noticing bass. However, I still want the bass to sound natural and not boomy.

Would prefer unamped but open to amps if both they and headphones come under budget and will make the Zune files sound better

May 20, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 17
Hello everyone on Hi-Fi. I recently began reading a lot of the great posts on here in order to make my next headphone purchase, and while all your comments are great, I think I need buying help that is specific to my situation. I'm about to be a freshman at college this coming fall. Unfortunately, this past January, my family and I suffered a house fire which destroyed my stereo, my Grado headphones (sr125), and my CD collection which I had been building since I was 8. Obviously, while we were lucky to be insured for possessions, we weren't insured enough to replace ALL possessions and my CD collection (which was getting close to over 400 in number) didn't make the budget cut especially with the added expense of me going to college. To help cure my music depression, my parents were nice enough to get me a Zune 120 GB and sign me up for the Zune Pass which has helped me get 85% of my music collection back plus a lot of other great available songs.

This is where you come in Hifi readers. As a graduation present, my parents have agreed to buy me a nice pair of headphones so I can throw out these terrible earbuds (please no recommendations for earbuds or earcanals, I can't stand them). I really don't want to get another pair of Grado's because while they sounded good, they felt like sandpaper against my ear and I couldn't wear them for long periods. I can't say exactly what my budget is but let's go with $300 because while I was browsing Best Buy with my parents, we saw the Dr. Dre Beats and they seemed amenable to getting me those. However, they are victims of this house fire too and I don't want to blow that budget if I don't have to.

In terms of the open vs. closed debate, I am amenable to either. I primarily listen to music in my room and I'll be living at home during the year as my college is in the town I live in. However, I guess if I'm going to take my Zune on the campus shuttle, want to listen to music in the cafeteria, or live in the dorms later and have a roommate, maybe I should get a closed set.

As far as my listening preferences go, I am very sensitive to treble (it can very easily give me a headache) and would not want a headphone that would be categorized as "bright." I also am a fan of a variety of music (favorite artists include Fleetwood Mac, Madonna, Eric Hutchinson, Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco) so neutral headphones would be cool. On that note, however, I don't have a natural ear for bass so a headphone that emphasized that could be a better fit for me, but of course I don't want it to sound boomy or unnatural.

I live in a small town so chances to audition good headphones are limited. However, I have auditioned three high-end sets and I'll give you my impressions. At Guitar Center, they let me try out the Sennheiser HD280's and the AKG K240 Studio headphones. Unfortunately, this was an impromptu visit and I tested them on CD's I had in my car (Eric Hutchinson and All-American Rejects) on their DJ booth setup, and not on my Zune so I may have gotten skewed results since the source material was better than what I'll normally be using.

To me, the Sennheisers sounded a little dull and kinda bright (an oxymoron I realize), but they did keep all external noise out and might be okay after burn-in.

On the other hand, the AKG's were amazing. "Dirty Little Secret" was very powerful, and I felt like I was in the room with Eric Hutchinson while he was recording the song. I detected a hair of brightness but nothing I couldn't live with and that might go away with burn-in. Bass seemed okay on the AKG's.

The other unit I tried out was the Dr. Dre's at Best Buy on their listening station. While they've been blasted on this forum, they sounded great to me (the station was set a little loud though). Bass seemed really good to me but keep in mind I'm not an audiophile yet. My primary concern with them is the price and the fact they take batteries. I love music and can listen for hours, and I don't want to constantly be replacing batteries.

My hope is to actually start out using my new headphones unamped and then maybe get an amp next year. I do know people love amps on here, but I'll admit though that I am totally ignorant on amps other than they make stuff sound better. The extensive knobs kinda scare me because I don't know what they do, ha ha. I guess I am open to a headphone/amp combo but you will need to recommend a specific make and model of an amp because I'm clueless here (maybe give me your email so I can ask question how to work it, lol). Also, make sure the amp and headphones come in under budget together.

The last thing to consider is the source material. I realize it's not ideal. I would love to listen to stuff uncompressed on CD's but that's just not feasible. The Zune Pass downloads are encoded at 192 Kbps WMA files. Considering this is making up 95% of my current library, I wish they gave a higher encoding option for downloading but such is life. I know some headphones might make these files sound bad because they bring out so much detail so please keep that in mind. This is kinda my worry with the AKG's since I didn't test them on the Zune.

Comfort is a big concern, but fashionability is not. I'm a proud nerd, and hopefully am on my way to becoming an educated audiophile nerd
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I have written the longest post on HiFi that I've seen thus far so I apologize. While I enjoyed the AKG's, I'm not married to them and would appreciate further suggestions. Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for your help.

May 20, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 17
Any good headphone will expose the compression. It is unavoidable. I feel terrible for your loss.

May 20, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 17
I have a Zune and use 192 kb variable (v2 Lame) and I love it. I currently use the KSC-75 mostly at work and love them. Go ahead and get some of those since they will only set you back 20 bucks or so.

Now for some very good headphones... Since you aren't planing to have a separate amp I would probably forget about getting some good full size headphones and pick up some nice IEMs. I'm sortof out of the loop on these, but if i were buying I would seriously look into the Shure SE530. These sound right up my ally and I, like you, very sensitive to harsh treble. These are supposedly equivalent for the Senn HD650 full size headphone but are IEMs.

When you get settled and start up your CD collection. Then consider a nice computer set up with a desktop amp and the HD650s.

May 20, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 17
Are there any other views out there, I appreciate logwed's kind words and Max F's recommendations, but I was hoping for a traditional set of over-the-ear cans. If I don't hear back soon from more people soon, I guess I'll go back to Guitar Center, test out the AKG K240s's on my Zune, and if they sound good, I'll get those. Of course if they don't, I'm in trouble and that's why I wanted the help of this message board. Help me out guys!

May 21, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any good headphone will expose the compression. It is unavoidable. I feel terrible for your loss.

LOL

nice pun =)

May 21, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 17
I'm using a AT-AD700 with a 30gb zune. And I like em very much. I came from Shure E3c's. Now I have read comments from people where they say that the AD700's don't have enough bass but for me, it's a HUGE improvement from the E3c's.

What headphone/IEM are you using now?

May 21, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 17
Just the earbuds that came with the Zune right now. I used the Grado SR125 prior to the fire. They had a good sound but were uncomfortable. I'm glad you brought up the AT-AD700's as I've heard they are a warm, laid-back headphone that may be easier for the Zune to drive than the AKG's. I wish there was a place close by where I could audition them. Do you posters think it would be worth my risk just to order the AT's sight unseen considering my aversion to sharp treble?

May 21, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 17
You could always sell in the classifieds if you don't like it. FYI I usually listen to at least 15 out of 20 volume in my Zune 30.

The AD700s are VERY comfortable. I've ready people say that the AT series are the most comfortable headphones.

BTW if you buy it from directly from Amazon (not through a vendor using Amazon) you could return it within 30 days IIRC.

May 21, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 17
I would say go for it. I just got my AD700s the other day, bought blind, and I could not be happier. They are crisp and detailed, but i would not say as bright as the Grados that you were used to. For the money I doubt you will get better. They work great from my iPhone so am sure the Zune will work just as well. Bass could be louder, but is deep and controlled enough for me (but then I am not the biggest basshead).

Only criticism would be the colour and they are big for out and about. Indoors no one has to see you so not a problem!

May 21, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 17
I use my ESW9a with my Zune and it's pretty good with for a portable system

May 21, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL

nice pun =)

finally!!! someone else realizes my comedic genius!

May 21, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #14 of 17
The AD700 sound absolutely awesome IMO, if you got the bucks though you could go for the AD900 which is supposed to be one step up from the 700's in overall SQ and design.

May 21, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #15 of 17
I used a 120GB Zune with the AD700: go for it! I sold it because I just didn't need the portability aspect. You, most probably, will be very pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back