unamped portables for cowon d2
Jul 24, 2008 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Lifthanger

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I've just received my first mobile player in ten years
smily_headphones1.gif
My intention is to buy some very nice in ear phones or something like that
when I'll be in the US in september. I'd spend 200-220$ max.

I only have some knowledge about full sized phones but these portables
with all their strange names, confuse me alot.

The SA6 should be good, that's what I gathered so far.

Second question would be: What would be the best place to get something like
this in the US/NY area. I also have a friend in boston to whom I could order over the internet.

I'm so clueless
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW the cowon is great so far, I can't believe I was thinking about an IPOD at twice the cost.

p.s. I'm also absolutely clueless whether these need amps or not. Got the parts for an mini3 here, so it should be alright if they needed an amp.

Jul 24, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 9
thanks for your answers. I'm glad that I won't need an amp.
The mini3 was meant to be a present
smily_headphones1.gif

In the earbud review thread it sounded as if the sa6 is available for 200$ at some vendors. Do you know anything about this? Could you recommend an electronics store in the US?

thanks

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 9
SA6 is a great system. I demo'ed them at CanJam '08, found them comfortable, and really liked that you can tune the treble and bass.

Also consider an IEM from Etymotic Research such as the ER-6i. Again, as others have stated, lower impedance IEMs do not really need amplification. I use an ER-6i with a Cowon X5L and it is just fine. It is particularly good with Jazz and Classical. The onboard EQ and effects on Cowon units ought to keep you occupied and happy for a long time. Though I rarely use them, they can pump up any frequencies you like.

Jul 26, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 9
I really enjoy the combination of my D2 and Future Sonic Atrio M5's

Very punchy bass with a nice, smooth midrange with natural, non-fatuiging highs (rolled off to some). A very 'fun' headphone.

Good luck

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back