Unamped Er6i to iPod line-out: Can it be done?
Jun 7, 2005 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ckhirnigs113

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Everyone,
I have been a spectator at Head-Fi for quite some time now, but I finally have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to. I have an iPod Photo and Ety Er6i's. There is a documented sound defect in the iPod Photo that is particularily noticable with low impedence earphones such as my Er6i's. I didn't know this when I purchased them, so it was an unpleasant surprise.

To solve the problem I have employed some things that I have learned on the boards here. I have a PocketDock connected to my iPod and the Er6i's connected to the line-out without an amp. The sound defect is not present in the line-out, and I have plenty of volume. I have an attenuator that I bought at Radio Shack to control the volume.

What I want to know is whether there is anything wrong with what I'm doing. I like the setup so far because it allows me to avoid the distortion that comes through the headphone port of the iPod. Is it harmful to listen through the line out with no amp in between the signal and the 'phones, or are there any other drawbacks I should be aware of?

Thanks for any input you might have. -CK

Jun 7, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 9
I certainly hope you are wrong about this, i recently bought Ety ER6i's and just ordered a 40Gb iPod Photo. (I'm wondering why www.apple.com doesn't show the 40Gb photo version as an option, only the 30 and 60 gig).

Aren't the Er6i's supposed to be designed especially for the iPod? To match both it's design AND sound?

Jun 7, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #4 of 9
I have an Ipod Photo and my ER-6i's and i sure doesn't notice any sound defects out of the headphone out.... strange

Jun 7, 2005 at 10:01 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113
I have a PocketDock connected to my iPod and the Er6i's connected to the line-out without an amp. The sound defect is not present in the line-out, and I have plenty of volume. I have an attenuator that I bought at Radio Shack to control the volume.

What I want to know is whether there is anything wrong with what I'm doing. I like the setup so far because it allows me to avoid the distortion that comes through the headphone port of the iPod. Is it harmful to listen through the line out with no amp in between the signal and the 'phones, or are there any other drawbacks I should be aware of?

No, should be fine. Just be very careful regarding the volume, *please*.

Jun 7, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely
I certainly hope you are wrong about this, i recently bought Ety ER6i's and just ordered a 40Gb iPod Photo. (I'm wondering why www.apple.com doesn't show the 40Gb photo version as an option, only the 30 and 60 gig).

Aren't the Er6i's supposed to be designed especially for the iPod? To match both it's design AND sound?

They make a 40gig ipod photo?
confused.gif
I am also wondering why they don't list it on the Apple website.

Jun 7, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo_
it was only out for acouple of months

Yep, then Apple decided the price was too much even for them. So what they did was revamp the line, and take out $100 worth of accesories and ditch the 40GB and instead replace it with a 30GB. If I were you I'de hang onto the 40GB...
580smile.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #9 of 9
Yay! Finally i got lucky...I was worried the store that sold it to me were selling me a 30 gig, disguised as a 40 gig, but seeing as the package includes all the extras from the original 40 gig (dock, AV cables etc.) it seems alright.

And it cost me roughly the same as the "new" 30 gig without the extras.
I guess they still had a few left of the "old" model, so they lowered the price.

I'm sitting here waiting for it to arrive, the mailman is due to arrive within the next few hours...must...have...patience....ARGHHH...

If my information is correct, the iPod is flash-upgradeable, so i can have the few improvements they made to the new 30 gig, like being able to upload pictures, anyway. Right?

Anyway, i wanna know more about that sound defect you're describing ckhirnigs113, if you or anyone else has any info, pls. post it...

EDIT: found this link which describes the problem: http://ipodlounge.com/index.php/arti...ails-and-test/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back