Unamped Er6i to iPod line-out: Can it be done?
Jun 5, 2005 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ckhirnigs113

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Everyone,
I have been a spectator at Head-Fi for quite some time now, but I finally have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to. I have an iPod Photo and Ety Er6i's. There is a documented sound defect in the iPod Photo that is particularily noticable with low impedence earphones such as my Er6i's. I didn't know this when I purchased them, so it was an unpleasant surprise.

To solve the problem I have employed some things that I have learned on the boards here. I have a PocketDock connected to my iPod and the Er6i's connected to the line-out without an amp. The sound defect is not present in the line-out, and I have plenty of volume. I have an attenuator that I bought at Radio Shack to control the volume.

What I want to know is whether there is anything wrong with what I'm doing. I like the setup so far because it allows me to avoid the distortion that comes through the headphone port of the iPod. Is it harmful to listen through the line out with no amp in between the signal and the 'phones, or are there any other drawbacks I should be aware of?

Thanks for any input you might have. -CK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back