Unamped closed headphone
Jan 13, 2004 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Repious

New Head-Fier
Ok guys I need your recommendation for the best unamped closed headphone.

I will be using the headphones with the computer at LAN’s as well as with my discman and mp3 player. Since I will be using them at LAN's its very important they are a closed headphone to help isolate outside noise. They also need to be very comfortable as I may be using them for long periods of time and they must also be non-fatiguing to listen to (not bright) and offcourse sound quality is of the upmost importance. I would also like a decent sized headphone like the HD-497's or something, not the koss ksc 35 and I am on a budget within reason, so the Etymotics are out of the question.

At a later date I may get around to making a portable amp like the mint or something so it would be nice if they benefited slightly from use with an amp but still perform excellent without.

Thanks for the help in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 26
If you don't care about looks, then you should check out the Sennheiser HD 280 as well. I would probably suggest the V6 though for public use. But for LAN's the HD 280's will keep out ALL the noise, and many (including me) think they sound great.

Jan 13, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by harkamus
Unamped? I say Audiotechnica ATH900.

He also said he wants to use them with his discman / mp3 player which would make me guess he would want to use them as his portable headphones as well.

A900's are definitely not portable. Also, they are a bit hard to drive IMO from just the soundcard. I say "a bit" because right now I'm listening to them from my Audigy2 LiveDrive with Windows volume at like 80% and the headphone volume on the LiveDrive at full and it is just below the volume I would normally prefer. I guess I'm trying to say... it could be louder.

In this case, I would not recommend these headphones (as much as I love them) since they are not a multi-purpose (not portable) headphone IMO.

Jan 13, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by slunk007
He also said he wants to use them with his discman / mp3 player which would make me guess he would want to use them as his portable headphones as well.

A900's are definitely not portable. Also, they are a bit hard to drive IMO from just the soundcard. I say "a bit" because right now I'm listening to them from my Audigy2 LiveDrive with Windows volume at like 80% and the headphone volume on the LiveDrive at full and it is just below the volume I would normally prefer. I guess I'm trying to say... it could be louder.

In this case, I would not recommend these headphones (as much as I love them) since they are not a multi-purpose (not portable) headphone IMO.

Yea, but he said, "I would also like a decent sized headphone like the HD-497's or something...." Unless I'm wrong, the HD-497 are not ear/canal phones. So the AT900 would be decent for his purposes.

Anyways, beside that point...you said the ATH900 are hard to drive off just your soundcard? They have an impedence of 40 ohms. They run fine off my Audigy 2 ZS. I didn't test it on my PPA as the cans do not belong to me, but I think they would do fine.

Jan 13, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 26
although I havenot yet gotten my a900s, I can safely say that the PortaPros for $35 at Koss is THE best bang for the buck I have ever seen, even taking into account the grado sr60.

Jan 13, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #13 of 26
Beyer 250-80 and from my limited time with it at the Chicago meet the AKG 271

Regards - reynman

Jan 13, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #15 of 26
i have owned both the hd-280's and i now own the V6's. They sound better for rock i think and are less bulkey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back