Un -mod Ex-71, (eg, replacement / makeshift filter)
Jul 12, 2005 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zeyus

100+ Head-Fier
I removed those filters on the end of the stalks of the EX71 as was suggested in another thread, I cant really remember what it was supposed to do (any ideas?) but the highs are really harsh now, I cant be sure if its directly as a result of that or something else.

Anyone else experienced this? If this is the case, is there a way I can make my own filters or something?

edit: the ex71s I have are the 'NUDE EX' model, as opposed to the fontopia, if this makes any difference

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 7
i think the mod had something to do with removing the cover and then filling the hole with foam...this was supposed to cut down on the harsh highs...not sure how it sounds, but you can also cover the holes on the back to reduce the boomy bass...

Edit...cover the holes with tape...

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 7
Hmm, what kind of foam do you know? I don't have that much of a problem with the bass, it's mainly those highs. On some songs I've almost ripped them out of my ears because of the 'screeching' kind of sound that makes you wince.

Jul 12, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 7
I'm not sure whether or not anyone has tried this, but my roommate has a pair of EX71s that I "lost" to him in a poker game
rolleyes.gif
. Anyway, he was annoyed that there wasn't sufficient isolation from the soft rubber plugs, so he grabbed a pair of E2 foamies from another one of our friends and shoved those on the EX71s. Lemme tell you, it made a HUGE difference. The sibilant highs were tamed (almost completely), and the bass tightened up dramatically (but the quantity was still there). In addition, calming down the spectral differences between the treble and bass allowed the mids to come out a little bit. I would say just the addition of the E2 foamies improved the SQ at least 50%.

Aug 22, 2005 at 11:31 AM Post #7 of 7
I had this problem too (shrillness) and fixed it with cotton torn off a qtip and pushed in with a pen. Sounds really pretty good now.I am surprised!
My other second pair of ex71 died after about 2 weeks of use. ...and the housing fell apart- Sony really builds crappy products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back