Un caffe, prego!
Oct 30, 2005 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MarcusH

100+ Head-Fier
HeadFi is the location where people share the joys of good headphones, looking at the Members' Lounge it seems like we have a few other passions as well. One of my passions is definitely enjoying a good espresso
smily_headphones1.gif
I wonder whether other HeadFiers are able to relate to this "addiction". No matter whether you're enjoying an espresso at your favourite café or loving to brew your own one at home. Share your enjoyment!

For me personally it started when my parents got a fully automated espresso machine years ago (a Jura machine). Unfortunately, while it wasn't tasting that bad, its versatility was limited. Living on my own, I was soon missing my daily "shot", so I convinced myself some time ago to spend my money on an espresso machine + coffee grinder.
Ever since I'm using a Saeco Aroma Nero, portafilter machine (yah, I know there are better machines, but I got it for a good price). Soon enough I started to dislike the "Gran Crema" portafilter handle and got myself a classic portafilter handle. For my "grinding" needs I use a Demoka M-203 espresso grinder (just g-r-e-a-t!). I have no preferred bean variety, at the moment I'm enjoying "Udinese export", lusso, pic.

It's great when the sun is shining through my windows (my apartment is on the attic floor
smily_headphones1.gif
and I have a hot espresso in front of me - I completely forget everything around me.

Anyone else loving a good espresso? Maybe you have your own machine and know how dependent a decent espresso is on the degree of grinding, the current air humidity, etc. *g*....

Marcus

Oct 30, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 5
Living in Rome for a while sort of ruined things for me when it comes to espresso. I became accustomed to 2-3 perfect cups a day. Even in New York it was impossible to find a perfect shot until recently(4 years later), when I finally enjoyed a shot without defect pulled by an old Italian man in the back of the Arthur Ave. Market here in the Bronx. Espresso here is always a bit too watery or bitter or burnt-tasting or cold or lacking good crema. Also, 99 out of 100 places serve too much in the cup! One ounce of coffee is too little for Americans, apparently. I'm talking strictly Italian cafes, too, not starbucks or the other American-style coffee houses that serve "espresso drinks". ok, rant over. And as far as cappuccino is concerned, I haven't seen anything even remotely like a real cappuccino. Cinnamon? Whipped cream? 20 ounces? i hate paper cups.

I've been dying for a machine for years. Unfortunately, I'm poor, so I have to wait for my Pasquini Livia 90, alas.

Oct 30, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitri
Living in Rome for a while sort of ruined things for me when it comes to espresso. I became accustomed to 2-3 perfect cups a day. Even in New York it was impossible to find a perfect shot until recently(4 years later), when I finally enjoyed a shot without defect pulled by an old Italian man in the back of the Arthur Ave. Market here in the Bronx. Espresso here is always a bit too watery or bitter or burnt-tasting or cold or lacking good crema. Also, 99 out of 100 places serve too much in the cup!

Exactly, over here it's burned most of the time and therefore has no crema at all :/ The famous "sugar test" fails almost everytime *g*

I'm still not able create the perfect espresso, but after some tuning it's good enough for now - constantly trying to improve it though. The Pasquini isn't quite "consumer grade", way beyond my budget. Though the Saeco is far from perfect it's doing a good job so far - now I'm getting espressi which most of the time taste better than those I can get in my area. Which isn't difficult considering the espressi that are sold over here
wink.gif

When I was in Italy last summer, I was pretty envious on the baristas over there - they're pulling some decent espressi as if it's the easiest thing in the world (well almost *g*).

Good luck,
Marcus

Oct 31, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 5
I too love a good espresso, and like Dimitri I find they are very rare in the USA, or at least in my part of the USA, Northern California. I've only recently found one near - meaning 20 minutes away from - my home, and as inconvenient as that is, I'm grateful I can at least get one when I really want it, which wasn't always the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back