Umm......what about the AKG K501 or Beyer DT880
Oct 13, 2003 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
In my last post, I inquired about replacing my HD600s for the CD3000s for classical music. The overwhelming response was the HD600 are superior for classical music to the CD3000s.

Today I was listening to my HD600s with Kleibers Beethoven 5th and 7th recording. I feel into a deep sleep during the climax of the 5th Symphony
biggrin.gif

Something lacks from the HD600s compared to my Grado SR80s. Actually, this reminds me of when my Grado SR80s were stolen.

One day I was listening to my HD600s and Gardiners performance of the 5th. I fell a sleep during the fifth. While I was a sleep, a thief crept into the house and tryed to commit identity theft. Along with taking social security information and my sisters video camera (which was eventually recovered) he took my Grado SR80.

While all of this was happening the HD600 had me held in a deep slomber.
biggrin.gif

(Maybe the Senns were jealous of the Grados and arranged to have them stolen while I was a sleep.)
wink.gif

While the HD600s might be an insomniacs best friend, they are very good headphones. They sound very lifelike and I am glad I bought them.

However, I wish to buy a headphone which is as lifelike as the HD600s without putting me to sleep.
evil_smiley.gif
As I said there is something that the Grados did which I liked.

So now I it looks like I have two options, from what I hear, the AKG K501s and the BeyerDynamic Dynamic Telephone 880.

Which one of these headphones do you think I would enjoy more for classical music?

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by MaxHeifetz
I would assume that the AKG 501's would put you into an even deeper slumber.

i have hd600s and k501 and at this point i think the hd600s are more sleep inducing. (check the sig, they are in the bedside rig) but then again i'm an rs-1 fan now so not much excites me in the way of headphones like those do.

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:53 AM Post #4 of 18
You should at least try to audition one or both. The K-501s are my cans o' choice for classical, hands down. But there's no guarantee you won't fall asleep whilst listening to them.

--Chris

Oct 13, 2003 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 18
IMO, if you love the grado sr-80 for classical..
why don't you consider getting an RS-1 or rs-2(if you have limited budget) ?
you know you like it.. then get it
wink.gif

furthermore rs-1 is so much more refined than the sr-80.. I think you'll be flipping in joy!!
tongue.gif

but you must prepare a lock for it.. just incase the thief breaks in again and attempts to steal your preciousss
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 18
If you don't want to fall asleep, stop listening to classical. . .
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Tyson
If you don't want to fall asleep, stop listening to classical. . .
tongue.gif

mad.gif

Them are fightin' words! My mother works for a symphony orchestra. Classical is not boring if done correctly!
biggrin.gif

I figure it might help you out if I told you what I am looking for in a can.

- Soundstage. The HD600s seem to have a unrealistic 2D soundstange. That is the main thing that keeps them from sounding like a live performance.

- Treble. While the Senns have a dip in the upper midrange, at times the Senns can sound harsh with the violin. You will notice that on FR graphs, the Senns have an upper midrange dip followed by a bump in the highs.
Also, there is a lack of airiness in the treble.

Oct 13, 2003 at 7:02 AM Post #8 of 18
K501s sound very, very good with classical. Given an up tempo piece, they're quite lively, and the soundstage is superb. If you want an HD600 vs. K501 comparison, I can't help you, but I'll see if I can get someone with very good qualifications to post his thoughts....

Oct 13, 2003 at 7:09 AM Post #9 of 18
Ok, I'd suggest getting another amp
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not speaking from experience when it comes to the HD600 or CD3000, but with the Beyer DT880 with a lower end amp it sounds good, but not terribly dynamic - everything sounds a little too balanced or 'sleepy'. It's fine with high energy music, where although not terribly exciting does add a nice warm element but if you really want to rock out you need to beef up the power a bit.

With the MG Head (and Talisman T-3H), now that I have new tubes, the DT880 is clearly an awesome dynamic headphone, it likes the extra power a lot.
It's no Grado, but I definately don't find it sleepy from either of my beefier amps so I'm guessing the HD600 might benefit in a similar way
smily_headphones1.gif

I've experienced the HD600 from lower end amps (like the Creek) and wasn't particularly excited by what I heard, unfortunately I don't have one anymore to test with some of the higher end amps but it might be worth considering.

Oct 13, 2003 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 18
Hehe, just kidding, I"m a huge classical music collector, so I was certainly joking
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd suggest a better amp as well, the Headroom Max is a perfect compliment to the 600's. I liked that combo better than any other at the recent head-fi meet here in Denver (full report in the Members Lounge section of this site). Very dynamic w/great bass and excellent soundstage.

Oct 13, 2003 at 7:25 AM Post #11 of 18
I believe the RS-1 would be lively enough for classical for you
smily_headphones1.gif
I really enjoyed it for classical.

Oct 13, 2003 at 7:27 AM Post #12 of 18
Good point, Snufkin. A thread I saw recently about the HD600 RA-1 combo comes to mind, so here's a link . The search function also revealed this thread.

I'm listening to Dvorak's Bolero right now, and I can hear all the reasons I really like the K501's: excellent soundstage and positioning, great detail in the upper-mids, and a real sense of room ambience.

Oct 13, 2003 at 7:42 AM Post #13 of 18
I thought the SuperMini V2 (which I have) was supposed to be superior to the Grado RA1. If I remember correctly, people were complaining that the RA1 was worse than a Cmoy!

BTW - Maurice Ravel wrote Bolero - not Dvorak
cool.gif

So the AKG K501s are the answer?

Oct 13, 2003 at 9:02 AM Post #14 of 18
What about the Music Series Modded Grado Phones?

Oct 16, 2003 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 18
Hello Czilla9000,

I have not listened to any of the Beyer Headphones but I have listened to most of the Grado line as well as the AKG 501s and Senn HD600s- which I own. It has become very clear that the best headphones are at the mercy of the source and equipment used.

I have used a Headroom Cosmic Ref Amp, Supreme w/Cosmic Upgrade, Grado RA1, Headroom Total Airhead, Koss 1220 Tube Headamp, (60s vintage) and Headphone output from receivers and integrated amps. The sound of the Senns is profoundly changed depending on which amp is used. One of the Senns strongest points is its ability to sound good on marginal quality CDs. Unfortunately the flip side to this is that with the wrong amp (or source) it can have a veiled sound lacking in impact. The Grado RS1 is just the opposite- it can be shrill and scream at you with the wrong amp.

The problem I have found with my RS1s is that while the close presentation of the soundstage is very exciting and rather like "being there live", the proximity of louder to softer instruments in larger ensembles can obscure fine details in high and low instruments. I am sure this is improved upon (or not a problem) with a correctly matched system and source.

The AKG 501s have on occasion been labeled un-natural because of the way they image instruments within the soundstage. As a professional violist I have to say that the most natural and realistic presentation I have heard has been from the AKG 501s. For classical music (with my amps) they are among the best. They have a profoundly deep and wide soundstage in which the instruments feel anchored in place. They are truly a musical instrument in their own right sound best when reproducing acoustical instruments.

When I consider the pros and cons of the Senn, Grado, and AKG 501s, the 501s stand out as the most suitable for classical and other acoustical music.

I hope this helps...

AM
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back