Umm... Is something wrong? (Coldplay - Shiver)
Aug 4, 2007 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mr00000

100+ Head-Fier
So I've been listening to my recently completed rig, checking out a whole range of stuff. I became a little worried when listening to Shiver by Coldplay. It just sounds like something is wrong with my rig. The opening guitar portion seems pretty badly distorted as well as some of the other guitar portions throughout the song.

Am I just hearing a more true reproduction of the recording with my new rig? Or is there a problem with my setup (blown headphones, problem with amp or DAC)? Everything else seems to sound fine, I'm just a bothered by this song.

Aug 4, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 13
Probably just a ****** recording if its only one song.

Aug 4, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 13
I've just never heard it like that before. Kinda funny that buying all this gear can bring out the bad in songs just as much as it can bring out the good. Don't get me wrong - it is definitely worth the trade-off, just funny.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 13
I have that album and it's definitely the recording causing your problem. The intro to Shiver just sounds nasty.

And yeah, I admit that I own only ONE Coldplay album. Haven't listened to it in ages.

Edit: Woah. You bumped a pretty old thread. What's old is new again I guess.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 13
The whole track is crunchy and distorted. Don't worry about it.

Edit: and I bumped it again... oops.

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 13
One of my favourite Coldplay songs, but yes it's not a great recording. Off the guitars especially there's a lot of distortion throughout the track, but I like the song so much I try to ignore it as much as possible.

Oct 16, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 13
Glad to know it is not only me: I just thought my new SA6's had a fault or I had to rip in higher quality listening to this tune (Shiver).

Glad to know it is in the recording not the equipment :wink:

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr00000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I've been listening to my recently completed rig, checking out a whole range of stuff. I became a little worried when listening to Shiver by Coldplay. It just sounds like something is wrong with my rig. The opening guitar portion seems pretty badly distorted as well as some of the other guitar portions throughout the song.

Am I just hearing a more true reproduction of the recording with my new rig? Or is there a problem with my setup (blown headphones, problem with amp or DAC)? Everything else seems to sound fine, I'm just a bothered by this song.

I didn't notice anything particularly wrong with the recording,the distorted guitar does sound a bit "chewy". Don't worry its supposed to sound like that and its a really killer song,I dig it.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 13
Clipped and distorted. Coldplay - Parachutes, Track 2 Shiver

Coldplay-Parachutes-02-Shiver.png

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #13 of 13
I love these threads where we all collaborate on whether or not there's something wrong with our rig because of a recording, seriously I had to start one of these for a Beatles song a while ago...
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back