UM56 molds made and audiologist asked if i "wanted full size". Strange?
Feb 4, 2012 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

doylekd

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I had molds made yesterday for UM56's and at the end, on the way out the door, the audiologist asked if I wanted them to be "full size".  She said they could have a part that went outside the ear and that would improve the sound and ensure the seal doesn't get broken.  After thinking about it I'm a little concerned. I will be using them with the Westone 3's and I think they might make the sound have to travel too far.  I've been reading the forum and I can't find any mention of people having two choices when it comes to the size of the um56.  Does anyone have any experience with what I'm talking about?  

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 5
No, you don't want a full size impression for your W3 as it would be "hanging" outside your ears.  The UM56 is meant to replace the stock Westone ear tips, so it needs to only go into the ear canal.  

I can see where the audiologist is coming from with the full size if you were to get the custom Westones like the ES3X, ES5...etc.  Then, yes, you would need a "full size" ear impression.  If the audiologist is also the one making the UM56 tips, then it might be good to go with the full size in case you want to use it later for a true CIEM (custom in-ear monitor) as previously mentioned.

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the response Alphaphoenix.  That's what I thought.  She sent the molds yesterday and I agreed to the "full".  Will Westone know that is wrong for the UM56's?  It seems that they would know if they are making the UM56's that they would only make them in one size.  It's Saturday so I guess I should call the audiologist on Monday.  

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 5
If the audiologist deals with Westone, you may be fine.  I would double check with your audiologist and double confirm with call directly with Westone.  If Westone is doing the UM56, then there may be a good chance that you'll get the tips as advertised despite a full impression. 

I did some more research on Etymotic custom tips, which similar to the UM56.  It looks like a full ear impression is done.  Whoever does the custom tips must know to only use only the correct portion of the ear impression.  So, I believe the end result will be fine, especially if Westone is creating your UM56 tips.

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 5
yeah, Westone is doing them.  The audiologist is a weston distributor and she seemed really knowledgeable, but whatever she did as far as impressions go would have been fine either way because she asked me if I wanted the "full" as we were walking out of her office.  The more I think about it I think Westone will do the um56 the way they do it either way.  I got the impression that she was going to request the full because she asked me my preference though so I am a little concerned.  She said the only reason everyone doesn't want the "full" was because of fashion, but I'm afraid the w3 will sit too far away from my ear canal hurting the sound.  The more I think about I guess she might have just been knowledgable about hearing in general.  I wish it wash Saturday!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back