UM56 Custom Sleeves For Dummies
Apr 4, 2009 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
What is with that stick piece that pertrudes out from these. Why would it me needed for these but not any other tips?

A foam tip should theoretically offer a perfect fit since it can form to any ear canal shape so why would I still want UM56?

I'm thinking about these for W3. Anybody done this or have pics with them on their W3's. I am wondering how HUGE the set-up will look? The tips look bigger than the IEM.

What sound improvement should I expect over a perfect fitting comply?

Any drawbacks to having these?

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 35
I have some of the same questions. How do these things work? How do they form? Is it like a 'boil and bite' mouth guard?

I hope that somebody laughs when they read that last comment. But I am half serious and clueless.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is with that stick piece that pertrudes out from these. Why would it me needed for these but not any other tips?

A foam tip should theoretically offer a perfect fit since it can form to any ear canal shape so why would I still want UM56?

I'm thinking about these for W3. Anybody done this or have pics with them on their W3's. I am wondering how HUGE the set-up will look? The tips look bigger than the IEM.

What sound improvement should I expect over a perfect fitting comply?

Any drawbacks to having these?

Check HeadphoneAddict's profile. I'm sure he's got some pics of the UM56 there - I remember him saying that it provided the best isolation and SQ for his W3, and that it really was worth it. I nearly got them, but here in Europe the price is astronomical, so decided not to in the end, and settled for the large grey silicon tips, which worked perfectly fine for me.

Edit: No, just checked and there's nothing there, but I definitely remember him mentioning the UM56 several times and showing some pictures several times in the first 20 or so pages of the W3 thread - You might want to drop him a PM, or wait for him to post here. As far as I can remember your W3's should NOT stick out any more than without the UM56's. So, Larry, where are you?

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 35
I took the plunge on some UM56's. I went to an audiologist, got the impressions done, then they went out to Westone for the UM56's. I got them back, they fit great, isolated quite well, but the sound wasn't any better for me than my modified tri-flanges (cut down to bi-flange and shortened the stalk).

The fit was certainly better and more comfortable for longer periods of time, which was my biggest complaint of the bi-flanges. However, I was expecting a bigger impact on the sound quality. I actually brought it up to Doug @ Westone, sent them back to him he said he'd look at it and tweak it if needed, and I never got them back
confused_face_2.gif

Anyways, if you were having fit problems with the current tips, then it may be worth it to you. My UM56's costed around $170 all said and done.

I've attached a picture for your reference.

Hope this helps.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 35
Wow those look hideous!

Well....I am getting a great seal, comfort and SQ with complys. I just hate that the foam material tips are dirt/grime magnets. If SQ isn't much improved I'm not sure if it is worth it.

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 35
I considered the UM56 as well, but I am very happy with tri-flanges (stalk trimmed), and don't expect much SQ change, so I am taking the cheap route. Also, those little things are for when the sleeves get stuck in your ear, they give you something to tug so you can get them out (it happens).

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 35
I just ordered the UM56. Kathy Peck was available at CanJam to do impressions. She is great! I paid 130.00 including the molds. She recommended a silicon material (OtoBlast)which is very soft and comfortable. I picked clear with read (Cat eye) for the right and clear with blue for the left. I am sure I'll like them. I'll let you guys know when I get them.

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 35
dont know what was going on with the poster who says he didnt get an improvement
confused.gif
I get much better bass definition and slam, better extension in the highs and the soundstage is deeper

iriverH120-sysconceptoptical-D10-Vo.jpg

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 35
I'm using a different brand of custom silicone tips (Starkey), but the experience I've had should be very similar to what you would have with UM56's. I was previously using complys. They were very good, but I had concerns about durability and long term cost. With custom molded silicone tips, there is IMO a definite increase in sound quality. I'm hearing better treble extension, the bass is both deeper and tighter (though it does have less rumble if that's your thing), and the left/right tracking is more precise. The biggest improvement is in soundstage. With the complys I got good left right soundstage, and a bit of height. With the custom tips I get more of a "musicians performing in a room" sound (with well produced music). And the comfort is excellent. I wore them for 3 hours yesterday while my daughter was in a job interview, and they were still perfectly comfortable.

I'm definitely a proponent of custom molded tips after getting mine.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 35
It definately smoothens the freq response... I use complys for biking and stuff but for serious listening they are not so great. They enhance the bass too much and im not much of a bass head.... the W3 does sound much much better with the UM56s... I had to get mine done twice (free of cost) for the best fit but totally worth the 140$ i paid.... And I also got the softer otoblast in clear.... the vinyls are supposed to be harder

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 35
Do they make your earphones stick out now? The one thing I'm concerned about is that my UM3X would no longer sit flush in my ear.

I also wonder what those little antennae lookin things stickin out of them are.... what is their function?

It's cool you can get different colours.. I thought one has to get clear. I think they'd look better in actual colours.. I wonder if smoke or black is an option.

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they make your earphones stick out now? The one thing I'm concerned about is that my UM3X would no longer sit flush in my ear.

I also wonder what those little antennae lookin things stickin out of them are.... what is their function?

It's cool you can get different colours.. I thought one has to get clear. I think they'd look better in actual colours.. I wonder if smoke or black is an option.

"the little antennas" make it easier to pull them out.
as fas as colors, check them out: UM56 Custom-fit earpieces :: Westone

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

They are there so that you can pull them out more easily...I thought they were pointless but they are actually very efficient...I use it all the time. Can't imagine having these tips without it.

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

ummm, you did look at my pic didnt you?? notice one of them is black?? there are many colours to choose from. dont think smoke was an option though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back