UM3X: Shure Olive vs Single Silicone Tips
Apr 26, 2010 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

syn_fx

100+ Head-Fier
Recently returned my Westone 2 and purchased the UM3X, which arrives tomorrow. About to pull the trigger on some tips (since the UM3X only comes with complys), however they are mighty expensive in the UK (£14).

I've searched through all the numerous UM3X threads, and there are many supporters of both. To those who have heard both single flange silicones and shure olives, which ones do you prefer purely for sound quality?

Many Thanks,

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm in the same condition. My Um3x will arrive in two weeks. However I have already the shure olives. I read that olives extend the range in the highs, and how my only fear with um3x is some kind of recessed high, I chosed the olives.

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 11
The single flange silicone tips don't isolate as well. If you're going to be using them for isolation, you probably need to go with some type of foam tip or multiple flange silicone. The multiple flange silicone aren't comfortable enough for me and I need the isolation, so I use olives. Most people are fine with silicone tips, my ears are just too sensitive.

This is with a UM1, but all of the Westone products have a similar form factor, so it should apply.

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dskelto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have um3x and use the klipsch silicone ovals. Very comfortable, good isolation and doesn't reduce high end detail.

Hi dskelto.
Have you tried shure soft flex, or bi/triflange? How do you compare with klipsch ovals.

Thanks.

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 11
I missed dskelto's post when I posted. I have a Klipsch X5 and I didn't find the isolation that great with the supplied tips. My ears are a little odd though. I had to use the small biflange in one ear and the medium single flange in the other. Smaller tips didn't seal and larger tips were painful. I use Comply tips with it.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 11
No, I haven't tried the Shure bi-flex or bi/tri flange. The Klipsch oval that I use are the medium bi-flange. I have tried the Olives as well and for me the Klipsch are more comfy, are easier to insert (depends on the size) and imho provide a balanced frequency response. The olives do provide better isolation though to my ears they reduce the high end response just a bit. Also I find the olive are more prone to transmit sounds through bone conductivity such as footsteps.

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by syn_fx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've searched through all the numerous UM3X threads, and there are many supporters of both. To those who have heard both single flange silicones and shure olives, which do you prefer, and why?

Many Thanks,

Sorry, I meant to say in terms of sound quality only, what is the difference? (I know exactly what the difference in isolation is, but not too worried about that).

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dskelto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I haven't tried the Shure bi-flex or bi/tri flange. The Klipsch oval that I use are the medium bi-flange. I have tried the Olives as well and for me the Klipsch are more comfy, are easier to insert (depends on the size) and imho provide a balanced frequency response. The olives do provide better isolation though to my ears they reduce the high end response just a bit. Also I find the olive are more prone to transmit sounds through bone conductivity such as footsteps.

Thanks

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm using shure tri-flanges. Isolation, bass impact and highs - all there. Comfort is not the best, but i can live with it. After some time, i get used to them. I've cut a lot of the tube also. I got the olives also, waiting for them to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back