um3x or ie8?
May 20, 2009 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

not_sure

Head-Fier
Hello,
please help me choose best option. I can not decide without hearing.
I listen everything possible pop, soundtracks but the most power metal and balads.
um3x are relatively new and could be best universal iem in this time becose using the same technology as es3x which is good point to consider as favorite, unfortunately looks of the um3x is not my cup of tea I would like clear or black but no clear/black anyway it is no important, important is sound. Both will have surely very different sound signature, ie8 dynamic driver and um3x three blanced armature.
I would like exellent speed dynamic, highs, imagine, clear but smooth magic vocals (insturmensts as well), neutral no dark no bright, sweet mids, fun and musical... that's enough I dont want describe my dream iem but I know somewhere out there are
smily_headphones1.gif

I have ad2000 For home listening which I really enjoy. I dont expect that iems could reproduce such a big soundstage, surround vocals and musical tones, air bass ...but I hope I will nice surprise.

Thanks for possible help

May 20, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by not_sure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
I listen everything possible pop, soundtracks but the most power metal and balads.
um3x are relatively new and could be best universal iem in this time becose using the same technology as es3x which is good point to consider as favorite, unfortunately looks of the um3x is not my cup of tea I would like clear or black but no clear/black anyway it is no important, important is sound. Both will have surely very different sound signature, ie8 dynamic driver and um3x three blanced armature.
I would like exellent speed dynamic, highs, imagine, clear but smooth magic vocals (insturmensts as well), neutral no dark no bright, sweet mids, fun and musical... that's enough I dont want describe my dream iem but I know somewhere out there are
smily_headphones1.gif

I have ad2000 For home listening which I really enjoy. I dont expect that iems could reproduce such a big soundstage, surround vocals and musical tones, air bass ...but I hope I will nice surprise.

Thanks for possible help

I have not heard IE8 and feel uneasy commenting on a thread where I haven't heard one of the IEM's but when you say,

You are pretty much describing UM3X almost exactly. Only exception might be your last two adjectives (fun and musical) that some may consider IE8 more "fun and musical." Yet I do, indeed, also find my UM3X quite fun and musical.

May 20, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 16
Indeed, your description definitely fits the ES3X, and of course its cousin UM3X.
Fun and musical sound will be there when your music has them, otherwise you would
want some coloration to "pimp" your music up.

Some other things to consider:
1) is isolation an important factor?
2) do you break cables more times than you would like?
3) will money be an issue?

IE8 can't compare with UM3X in terms of isolation and neutrality(naturalness), it is
indeed colored, but with a good eq you can fix that. IE8's cable is also replaceable,
which maybe what you want because the habit of unconsciously stepping on cables
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, UM3X can be gotten in ebay for $322 ($28 reduction from live cashback), while
IE8 sometimes can go just a bit above $210.

May 20, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard IE8 and feel uneasy commenting on a thread where I haven't heard one of the IEM's but when you say,

You are pretty much describing UM3X almost exactly. Only exception might be your last two adjectives (fun and musical) that some may consider IE8 more "fun and musical." Yet I do, indeed, also find my UM3X quite fun and musical.

I thought the same when I read your wish list... sounds like a description of the UM3X. Loving this IEM's each day more. And now waiting for the UM56 to arrive.

May 20, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks guys, I decided and definitely ordered um3x which seems to be better option without hearing.

May 20, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 16
I have not heard the UM3X, but to me the IE8 has:

Quote:

exellent speed dynamic, highs, imagine, clear but smooth magic vocals (insturmensts as well), neutral no dark no bright, sweet mids, fun and musical... that's enough I dont want describe my dream iem but I know somewhere out there are
smily_headphones1.gif

OK, maybe the vocals are a little laid back in presentation, but other than that, the above describes my IE8 experience. But also I am not using standard tips. And I would definitely describe the IE8 as fun and musical! I hope to hear the UM3X at Can Jam so I can compare them to my IE8s.

May 20, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Hello,

smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for possible help

Man you are in one serious dilemma. I have heard both and decided to stick with the IE8 as it was more " fun and musical with smooth magic vocals." The UM3X was more "neutral", with a more forward midrange; it also possesses smooth magic vocals
biggrin.gif
and possibly more extended highs. The IE8's to me are ever so slighty erring on the "dark" side especially when the tips are inserted too deeply.

Headstage and by extension soundstage on the IE8 were more expansive than that of the UM3x. I didn't realize how important soundstage was to me for my musical enjoyment of an IEM until I listened to the IE8's. If I remember correctly the UM3x had like a more spherically shaped soundstage.

To my ears the UM3X was a lot more transparent and accurate than the IE8's though. I suppose a lot of folks will say that the UM3X are more detailed than than the IE8's though I may beg to differ when it comes to sheer (bulk/amount) of detail.

May 20, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 16
I suppose what I was trying to say is that if I were you. I'd mentally tell myself there isn't a perfect IEM and just choose the one that looks more aesthetically appealing because from your requirements both should do fine. Or perhaps you should wait UM3XIE8 combo.

P.S

The IE8's have a replaceable and it may be possible to tweak the sound due to possibly upgradeable cables

oops didn't realize you ordered already haha.

May 21, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 16
I am in a similar dilemma but instead of starting a new thread, I decided here would be a good place to post.

I am considering between the um3x, ie8, w3, and with se530 as reference. I am leaning more towards the um3x as I value comfort, fit and isolation. Also as people have been saying a "non-fatiguing" sound. What remains salient with the um3x though is the supposed lack of bass. As I listen to a lot of techno, I do enjoy a heavier midbass.

I listen to a whole variety of music, predominantly classical music at
>65% classical (mainly violin + orchestra)
>20% electronic and techno
>15% pop + rnb + rock

Pricing in Australia is:
um3x $465 AUD
ie8 $375 AUD
w3 $423 AUD
se530 $430 AUD

They're basically all in a similar price bracket.

I have been reading a lot on peoples impressions here BUT I understand that the population of classical musicians or people who listen to a lot of classic music are smaller in this forum.

A question I would like to ask is, if you had similar listening habits to me, and you could only choose 1 universal which would you choose and why?

Would the answer change if you could pick 2 of these iems?

AND for the people who have es3x and ue11pros would you also comment on comparisons between these phones. I am interested in purchasing a custom in the future and interested in how these phones compare to these universals. Particularly curious as to how the um3x perform in relation to the es3x.

Thank you for any help and opinions

I forgot to mention that these iems will most likely be driven through a iphone or ipod unamped. If I were to get an amp, it would be a cheap one like the Fiio e5 or similar. I prefer not to carry an amp though

May 21, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #10 of 16
um3x will be your best 1 since it's the most "natural" (least amount of coloring) universal
IEM on the market, and classical lovers seem to have their field day (read all about it in
the appreciation thread). BUT if you will pick 2, then the other one will be obvious: IE8.
Its deep bass is something no other 3 can offer, even on minimum it should be enough,
although some do prefer one or two notch up for a head-rumbling experience.
Since you are a classical lover, and there's one who listen to classical 99% in the ES3X
appreciation thread, read his posts and find out how he ADORES it. UE11pro has more
bass and punch (coloration), and there are comparisons posted in the ES3X
appreciation thread, so head over there and START READING
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #11 of 16
Honeyboy many thanks for your impressions, too late but helpful
smile_phones.gif

I thought this, both will different somewhere will be better um3x and vice versa. I think and hope for power metal will be better um3x, it have to be farther than ie8 as regards speed, precise....while ie8 probably offer very nice power bass and relaxing execution which sounds also so tempting...

May 21, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by decay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
um3x will be your best 1 since it's the most "natural" (least amount of coloring) universal
IEM on the market, and classical lovers seem to have their field day (read all about it in
the appreciation thread). BUT if you will pick 2, then the other one will be obvious: IE8.
Its deep bass is something no other 3 can offer, even on minimum it should be enough,
although some do prefer one or two notch up for a head-rumbling experience.
Since you are a classical lover, and there's one who listen to classical 99% in the ES3X
appreciation thread, read his posts and find out how he ADORES it. UE11pro has more
bass and punch (coloration), and there are comparisons posted in the ES3X
appreciation thread, so head over there and START READING
smily_headphones1.gif

UM3X is very natural, I see sound is changed a lot from source to source. Most colored player is D2+, second is Zune, and least is iphone, but it is little grainy though.

all in all, zune and ipod series would be quite match to UM3X

Jul 22, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #14 of 16
maaan! IMO you just cant all those criteria in one single IEM! maybe unless you go for customs... maybe! since its too late as you say (im not sure which you purchased though! haha!) i would say the UM3X is for you considering the criteriaS you mentioned first fits the UM3X while those you wrote last fits the IE8. i think you wrote those according to what you wanted the most so UM3X it is..

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #15 of 16
I think in terms of

sound stage:
IE8> UM3X. I personally have not heard IE8 in detail, but I have an IE7 and the sound stage already pwns UM3X deep.

clarity:
UM3X>IE8 hands down.

instrument separation/ precision:
UM3X>IE8

bass:
IE8> UM3X hands down

Treble:
UM3X>IE8

UM3X would be more for classical/new age music, and for music lovers who love accuracy, precision while IE8 would be better for bass-heavy music (pop/rock/metal, etc) with very laid-back presentation. IE8 will sound very soothing and gentle while UM3X will present every single detail out (including recording flaw, etc).

To put in an analogy, IE8 will make you feel like you are seated away from the stage in a concert, leading to very wide sound stage and will sound good overall but don't expect to hear a pin drop on the stage. For UM3X, its like you are in a studio listening to live recording so the sound stage is small. But its so precise that you can even hear the singer breathe, let alone hearing a pin drop!

So it depends on your own personal preference.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back