UM3X Fell Apart
May 8, 2010 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

the_dong146

100+ Head-Fier
So here's the story - owner of UM3X's, love how they sound.

From the very beginning I was a little surprised at their build quality/design - seemed inferior/less thought out than previous and much more inexpensive Shure/Sennheiser IEMs, but I was not too preoccupied with looks.  I did think it was weird that I could see a drop of glue on one of the joins in the housing (where the clear plastic is joined to the black).

Flash forward a few months - the housing on the right IEM has completely come apart, and now I can see quite nicely expensive metal box that holds the drivers.  I cannot say I've done anything too abusive to them either (especially considering these are meant to be stage monitors correct?)

My question to all of you - what can/should I do with these?  Thinking about getting/breaking out the crazy glue, but I am kind of reluctant to do so with something this expensive.
Should probably mention that I got these off of the Bay (too good of a deal with Bing cashback) - so I'm not so sure how warranty plays out.  I know I previously had great experiences with Shure's customer service/warranty (based on timestamp that is on every IEM)

May 8, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 4
If they were bought new you should have no problems with the warranty, you should just call and see what happens. Worst that can happen is they say no. 

I would say that if you can't get them to fix it or another member (or someone else with great DIY skills) to fix it for you, then have at it :) 

Sorry about them breaking though; I hope that doesn't happen to mine :/

May 9, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 4
Email Westone! I bought my pair off ebay and the cable became faulty after a week. I ended up sending my IEM's to them and they replaced the cable and I have not had any problems with them since. They were very helpful and quick with their email.

May 9, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 4
Give em a call, Westone and Shure usually are good about their replacement policies.  I'm a little surprised about the build quality of the UM3X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back