UM3X a disappointment in build quality
Apr 15, 2010 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

zentenk

Head-Fier
When I first bought the UM3X, I opened the box and I thought to myself, my is the build quality bad. The shell of the IEM has traces of glue trickling out, the plastic itself is rough, and the first pair I bought actually had small hole on the shell near where the cable is. All that and I thought, hey, this is an IEM made for professionals, it's not supposed to look aesthetically pleasing like the Westone 3. I happen to know a few things about molding, and I can tell that the mold for the shell of UM3X is not only easy to produce, but also cheap (only 3 plastic parts) to manufacture, so it's beyond me how bad the quality is. Had this been made with China's manufacturing prowess like the Westone 3, this probably would be the case, but oh well.

That is until I found out that this is not a matter of aesthetics, but durability. I'm not rough with my IEM's, I treat them with care, however, accidents happen. I was walking around a grocery listening with my UM3X, worn so the cable is at front. The wire got hooked by a store shelf and I felt a 'moderate' tug (this is subjective, but lets just say I don't care much about my RE0 and it has received much more punishment and is still perfectly fine). I looked back, and my UM3X was in pieces.

The IEM did not 'shatter' or anything, it was merely because there was not enough glue to stick the IEM together and the different pieces of the shell held together by glue came apart. I picked up the UM3X in shock, and found that one of the wires connecting the drivers came off (don't know where to solder it back to). I tried putting it back together (without glue, it holds a little since nothing actually broke) and found that the bass has weakened and the highs less defined compared to the other side.

EDIT: Sorry for the back picture quality. As you can see that red wire sticking out the the wire I'm talking about.

I know partly it was my bad, but I have never had an experience where a $250+ electronic device breaks so easily, hell I bought a $1 earphone for my younger brother half a year ago and its still working perfectly fine while he throws it in his school bag everyday.

I know westone won't be handling my warranty, so I sent an email to westone wanting to know how the little wires connecting the drivers are and maybe I can solder it back.

I don't have anything against westone, I love their sound, but just expressing how I feel, so dont flame me if you dont like it. For those who plan to buy one, think whether you can treat it like a pair of glass cup first.

02012052013.jpg

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraggerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOLs.....seriously? broken so easily?

The fact that the shell didn't crack or anything, but rather the glue's not strong enough or not enough glue to hold it together under stress just shows how bad the build Q is.

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 13
"I jumped up on down on it repeatedly and used it for a bungie. Then it broke. SRSLY What?"

I have snagged my UM3X a few times - the worst part was the girl-like shriek I would let out as my ear molds were rip'd asunder from my ear the wrong direction...

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 13
pict blurry
i can't see it clearly
how's remoulding ?

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 13
Maybe it was just a bad day at the plant. I don't know. Glue parts unfortunately are prone to weakening. It hasn't been uncommon on the Triple.Fi 10. I expect the same from any glued product, even the Westone, Shure, or Sennheiser ones.

I'll agree the attention to detail of the UM3X isn't like that of the SE530 or IE8. The SE530 and IE8 look expensive, and they make an effort to run through the steps to make the earphone cosmetically attractive. The UM3X unfortunately is a workhorse IEM. The cosmetics were not a major part of the selling point, not like the W3 which is geared for consumers rather than professionals.

It is certain odd that it happened that way. It's not something I would expect without some form of impact force. It's certainly not something that should happen just from pulling on the cord. However, I don't know what was involved with the earphone upon the accident. You weren't really aware of what happened either other than the aftermath. If it swung around and smacked a metal shelf, it could certainly see the impact breaking the glue bond. Also to tear the case apart and the wire off, I would assume there was a decent amount of force applied.

See what Westone says. Maybe they might do it for free out of courtesy. Maybe it will cost a little bit. If you're mechanically inclined enough, there is the option to resolder and reglue at minimal cost to you. Also, I know there are some forum members here who can, so you might try hitting one of them up for a low cost repair.

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 13
I think the UM3x is beautiful, but then again I love the fact that they have been designed with ergonomics, comfort and isolation in mind rather than just bling factor.

I agree that the Sennheiser IE8 has a quality finish, but they aren't anywhere near as comfortable or well isolating, and things like the over-designed carrying case are just pointless.

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 13
Ok, why won't Westone be handling your warranty? I've sent my UM2s in for a bad filter, out of warranty, and the charge was minimal. When they called to confirm the return shipping the woman told me that, they noticed that the strain relief was breaking down, so the swapped out for a new wires too. They came back with what looked like a new case, new wires, and of course a clean filter. All I paid for was shipping and a filter.

I'm pretty sure if you contact them, they won't leave you stuck trying to glue your stuff back together.

-Jeff

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 13
personally i think the um3x is beautifully crafted, ergonomically and practically. i couldn't imagine my um3x falling apart as yours has apparently, and to be honest, it probably wont for another few years until say, the glue begins to become a problem area. i'd chalk this up probably to just being a lemon out of the bunch. sorry to hear that though, and best of luck with replacement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back