UM2s only sound good when loud...
Jan 23, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #16 of 25
I'm having a really hard time now... The problem is I am interested in going to full size cans. Earphonesolutions.com has the new AKG K701s coming in. Only for $285! With free shipping!

But if catscratch is right... I would definitely be interested in getting an amp for the UM2s. Maybe the Hornet? Read a few reviews and people say they have no hiss and the Hornet has variable gain.

But then again... I can just get the AKG K701s and wait on an amp. I don't think the price like this will last. Or will it?

Is it crazy to think that my portables, iRiver H120 and iAudio M3L, would be able to drive the K701s?

Feb 10, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #17 of 25
I have UM2's and an Iriver h120, volume for me is fine at 10-12/40 with normal eq. using the headphone out. I hope you not using the line out, thats a mistake in my opinion. The sound from the line-out is rolled off un-amped, so yes that would induce you to turn up the volume to get full frequency. I have a Go-Vibe amp that I use with the line-out, here the sound with UM2's is nothing short of spectacular and I never use any eq, only normal setting. if I were you, I'd get a decent portable amp, before dumping a pair of one of the best sounding universal IEMs ever made. You may also be having an ear fitment problem, you need to experiment with as may different types of tips as you can find. Shure's fit(except e2), try all of those. I really like the Shure Yellow Foamies the best with UM2, they cheap to try out, although comply short are the most comfortable. Every ones ears are different in size and shape and you may not be getting a good seal. I think UM2 are better than many full sized cans including Senn HD650 in every area except for soundstage. They are that good. I've seen a few Head-fiers sell UM2's only to buy them back later on. You've been warned.

I think the majority of full-sized cans benefit from an amp because portable sources can't have too powerful of an amp as they have battery life as an issue. Full sized cans are generally made with impedences that match well with home stereo gear, although I can't speak to the 701 as I don't know what the specs are. I think a portable amp is in your future before the 701 and then the 701 can come later, for which you will need the aforementioned amp. 701 are new and fresh, and many are buying just out of curiosity and speculation that they will be good. Some of the curious types will find the sound not to their liking and sell right into your hands.

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmichael
I think UM2 are better than many full sized cans including Senn HD650 in every area except for soundstage. They are that good.

Someone who likes the um2 as much as I do.
biggrin.gif
so much so that I bought the super fi 5 pros just to see whether they are better than the um2 as some people claim. The sf5p's went back to the store.

I don't relate with the op since I'm a low volume listener and I think it sounds great, using ipod + govibe3.

Feb 10, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #20 of 25
I have sold my iAudio M3L and now use the UM2s with only with my iRiver H120 unamped. Volumes around 6-7/40 is good for me on iRiver. The only problem now is the hiss... Any advice on a cheap amp (ex. $100-$200) that would give good synergy with UM2s and no hiss?

Feb 11, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
I have sold my iAudio M3L and now use the UM2s with only with my iRiver H120 unamped. Volumes around 6-7/40 is good for me on iRiver. The only problem now is the hiss... Any advice on a cheap amp (ex. $100-$200) that would give good synergy with UM2s and no hiss?

My govibe is set at unity gain and has zero hiss with the um2. My portaphile at gain 3 also has zero hiss, but very little movement on the volume knob-- unity gain would be better.

Feb 11, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
My govibe is set at unity gain and has zero hiss with the um2. My portaphile at gain 3 also has zero hiss, but very little movement on the volume knob-- unity gain would be better.

What source are you using? Is it a portable player?

Feb 12, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #25 of 25
Aren't the Govibes out of production? If not how much are they? Where should I go to see a pic of one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back