UM2's + ety tips inital impressions
Jul 11, 2005 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Nights_85

500+ Head-Fier
ok so I FINALLY got my ety triflanges after a rather elongated week long wait for them. Initial impressions of the UM2 using my iAudio M3 with these on (yes I did cut the last tip off btw) is that it doesn't really improve the bass THAT much if and now they are much more sibilant as well. I mean Ive seen many a people here call these anything from very balanced to incredibly bassy to the bassiest things they've ever heard.

That being said the sound is more "fun" in a sense when comparing it to the small comply tips, although the comply tips have a better ability to "disappear" (in a sense) leaving me lsitening to music without realising I still have earphones in my ears... these silicon tips are a different story, Im not really sure they could have the same effect.

I dunno, Im still finding myself a bit disappointed in these earphones, unless Im missing something and a very nice head-fier would like to point it out to me. Maybe it's my ears that need to get used to them, or maybe Im not getting a good enough seal....im starting to ponder why I spent $400AU on a pair of earphones that dont exactly sound very fullfilling
frown.gif

I guess I could just crank up the low end in the eq but I was hoping I wouldn't actually have to resort to that for something so reputed for its bass, and i realy dont know what Im going to do about this sibilance because the M3 can only boost frequencies it doesnt cut in the EQ (not happy about that one)

Jul 11, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nights_85
I guess I could just crank up the low end in the eq but I was hoping I wouldn't actually have to resort to that for something so reputed for its bass, and i realy dont know what Im going to do about this sibilance because the M3 can only boost frequencies it doesnt cut in the EQ (not happy about that one)

Hmmm, so you find UM2's lacking in low end? I thought common head-fi idea was that they like E5c are rather "bassy", by canal phone standards of course. I wonder what in this respect you would think about my E4c or, god forbid, Etys.
confused.gif

Dunno about UM2, but on E3/4c Shures moded tri-flanges sound disgusting - shrill, congetsed and robbing whatever bass is there. Un-moded tri-flanges were my eartips of choice untill I discovered yellow foamies - best sound ballance, comfort and isolation, imo. Maybe you should try them on UM2.

Jul 11, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 31
maybe you don't get a good seal ?

the bass is awsome when you have a good seal.

You'll learn to get a good seal ,try to use the comply tips,they offer bette seal and more bass.

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

I dunno, Im still finding myself a bit disappointed in these earphones, unless Im missing something and a very nice head-fier would like to point it out to me. Maybe it's my ears that need to get used to them, or maybe Im not getting a good enough seal....im starting to ponder why I spent $400AU on a pair of earphones that dont exactly sound very fullfilling
frown.gif

I'm definitely feeling you on this one, I'm in the same boat. To me they aren't worth the $310US I spent on them.

Jul 13, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 31
Well, I think it ALL depends on shape of your ear canal...

For me, comply long tips are WAY better than the short ones,
and I've read opinions of others where it's the other way around.

By the way, anyone knows where could I buy tips for UM2 in Europe?
If I order it from USA, shipping costs would be more than the tips...

I am from Slovenia, so preferably I'd order em from Italy, but Swiss,
Austria, Germany and even UK are still better than order from USA.

And if cannot get UM2's tips, what about the ones from Shure and Ety
which fits UM2? Any EU online shop where I could order them?

Jul 13, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrYman
Well, I think it ALL depends on shape of your ear canal...

For me, comply long tips are WAY better than the short ones,
and I've read opinions of others where it's the other way around.

By the way, anyone knows where could I buy tips for UM2 in Europe?
If I order it from USA, shipping costs would be more than the tips...

I am from Slovenia, so preferably I'd order em from Italy, but Swiss,
Austria, Germany and even UK are still better than order from USA.

And if cannot get UM2's tips, what about the ones from Shure and Ety
which fits UM2? Any EU online shop where I could order them?

Hi,try the shure triflanges,cut the first flange to make it bi-flanges. The sound is clearer and more balanced than the comply tips. AND you can clean they if they get dirty,no need to replace them.

Jul 13, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

It really does sound like you are not getting a good seal!!

On my UM2's I get more bass than I care for with the compfy tips and still quite a bit with the ety tips (last one cut off).

It did take me a week or so until I finally found the right way for me to get them inserted so I get a good seal. Funny, for something that seems so simple, it can be far more difficult than just shoving them in!

Jul 13, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

I mean Ive seen many a people here call these anything from very balanced to incredibly bassy to the bassiest things they've ever heard.

it's quite clear there's something wrong with your um2s or you+um2

um2 have incredible bass , when the source feed them with . they like a nice source and a bit of eq'ing , anyhow it's too strange to imagine they lack something in the bass region whatever the source ....
confused.gif

and they show a nice balance too .

this is clear from the very first time you get them in .. ehm... properly inserted and fitting ..

Jul 13, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 31
nights_85 : How does the bass of er6 compare to um2 ?

And give them a chane,try to get a good seal.

I've learned to insert them in many ways, I mean yesterday I found out I great way that I never tried before and I got a perfect seal...I should say that got my um2 for soem months ago.

Jul 13, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #11 of 31
I can bet you don't have a sufficient seal
wink.gif

[size=large]push them hard into you !!! [/size][size=xx-small] just the instant after you have squished the foams
hard and tight
[/size]

Jul 13, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #12 of 31
ahh another recommendation which works for me:
i noticed my right ear canal is tiner (smaller) than the left one,
i can easily put comply tip into left ear canal when i compress it
but if i do same procedure for right ear canal it doesnt seal,
and simple test is to rub your fingers just besides ear when
tips are in, you should hear almost no noise coming from
rubbing your fingers (index and thumb).... but i DO hear
noise on right ear, so, i realized seal is bad on right side
while perfect on left, and what i did is that after compressing
tip and pushed it inside ear canal while pulling up my earlobe
with left hand (over the head), i also ROTATED tip a bit,
so i was able to push tip deeper into right ear, and it worked,
seal was equal on both sides.... this works way better for me
with longer comply tips than with shorter ones....

Jul 14, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayano
nights_85 : How does the bass of er6 compare to um2 ?

for me the bass is almost none existant (which some people may like) unless I boost the heck out of the lows, in which case it's sounds very nice (msot of the time). Unfortunately the er6 is not designed for bass IMO and so on alot of music I'd be listening to I could hear a fluttering sound with bassy sort of sounds (think hitting tom toms and phat basslines etc). And no I doubt it's the recording cause i dont hear that fluttering with any other earphone.

As for these UM2's you're probably right im not getting a good seal, Im just going through a "omg i just spent a crapload of money on something I dont like" phase, same thing happened when i got my e2c's but thats cause they couldn't fit properly. I'll keep them for a while longer. So the general consesus is I shouldn't have to use any eq on the lows for these things at all if i've got a proper seal yes? cause if people say these things are really bassy on an ipod *spit!* I shouldn't have any problems with my mp3 player

Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
push them hard into you !!! just the instant after you have squished the foams

I dont particularly like using the foams cause I hate having to roll them up and constantly wait for them to seal. Which is why I bought the ety tips which I might add there is a slight learning curve to inserting properly (how on earth do you er-4p users jam these thing so far into your ear???) one which I most probably need more training in

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #14 of 31
It's hard to believe anyone complaining about too much treble the UM2s. In fact, my experience is exactly the opposite; I've had to find ways to reduce bass response.

Like several Head-Fi-ers, I've discovered that the smallest changes in seal can yield radical differences in sound. And that seal is the critical element in getting the bass you're looking for.

It's likely that your Comply tips are not going in far enough, causing a poor seal (and a resulting tinny response). It's also very possible that (like me) your ear canals are larger than average.

Play around with the long Comply tips. Lift your ear up and out before insertion, compress the Comply tightly with the fingers of your other hand, and make sure it goes in far enough. Yeah, and let go of your ear.

If this fails, you might be a candidate for custom ear molds, which many say brings the sound to "a new level." In any case, I urge you to play around with the UM2s a bit longer before declaring failure.

etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back