um2's comfort and perhaps an upgrade to es2?
Aug 26, 2006 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sanity8me

500+ Head-Fier
hey guys, haven't posted here in a while, but i was wondering if i can get some advice.

i've been loving my um2's for quite some time now. i use biflange tips, which are modded triflange tips (cut the stem and the smallest flange). the only problem is that i have to take them out of my ear every half hour or so cause it gets wayyyyyyyyy to itchy inside my ear. i always feel like a dog having to scratch my ears frantically afterwards. btw, i'm aware of the fact that um2's seem to be regarded as very comfortable IEMs on head-fi, or am i wrong?

so... i was wondering if upgrading to es2's would be the best solution? after doing a search on them on head-fi to see what people have to say, seems to me like they're the perfect custom IEMs for me (especially since i'm a college student and don't exactly want to drop a grand on phones like UE-10 pros).

here are some concerns/questions of mine:

- i'm worried that they will even more so bring out all the flaws of my music. i'm using a sony vaio pocket, which i love (SQ, 40gb) and hate (laggy as hell, size), and mostly 320kbps mp3s.... should i perhaps get another portable player like the x5l? i don't want an ipod.. and also should i switch to flac if i get a player that supports it?)

- i'll have to call westone for this one, but has anyone been able to send in their um2's for a discounted es2? *crosses fingers*

- i REALLY don't want to spend money on an amp like the hornet or any amp for that matter.. cause honestly, the portability factor goes down the drain with them IMO. will the es2's still sound amazing without one?

- last question, is it really worth it to spend $650 if comfort is my only gripe of the um2's?

Aug 26, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 9
You ask several questions, I'll pose some answers. I too used UM2's for six months or so. While I loved the sound when properly sealed, they just wouldn't stay in my head. I had to take them out and re-instert them every 15 minutes or so. This was entirely a personal issue related to how my ears are constructed, but it was unacceptable. I recently upgraded to ES2's. No, there is no upgrade credit, I asked. (You can however sell you UM2's for some return on your investment.)

You might try the cheaper interim step of getting UM56's which are a custom mold that installs on the U2's. These didn't work well for me, but again, my ears are unique. (Again, when properly sealed they sounded better than the universal tips I was using, but mine were not perfect.)

Better IEM's will to some degree show you the "flaws" in your equipment and recording quality. Thing is, the UM2's do this too. Did your enjoyment of your music diminish when you upgraded to the UM2's? Better quality IEM's will certainly benefit from upgrades in the downstream components, but don't require upgrades. If all you do is move from UM2's to ES2's, you will be wonderfully amazed at how much better your music sounds. If you were to take your current system and compare it to a full on system with say lossless, amp and fancy interconnects, you would definitely hear an improvement and may then, and only then be unhappy with your current set up. So, don't do that comparison! You'll never know what you're missing and will therefore never be unhappy.

ES2's are most definitely a huge improvement over UM2's. The fit alone would have been enough for me, but the sound they produce is an order of magnitude better. Worth $650 PLUS the cost of molds ($40 in my case)? Only you can decide on value.

Aug 27, 2006 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 9
thanks FreeBlues. thought there'd be more replies, but i guess i didn't realize that there aren't too many es2 owners around on head-fi it seems..

anyhoo, i definitely don't want the um56 upgrade. rather just buy a full custom IEM like the es2. too bad i'm going to have to spend the full amount, but i remember reading that they can be found for cheaper than $650?

my main question was how comfortable the es2's will be in regards to the fact that i won't have to take them out every half hour due to a very annoying itchyness i get in my ears. doesn't anybody else experience this??

don't get me wrong.. SQ is a big deal for me, but, like i said, i'm extremely satisfied with my um2's in that department. of course i'm sure the es2's will likely blow them away, but i rather be blown away by the comfort level and being able to leave them in my ears for prolonged periods of time.

also, and you don't have to neccessarily be an es2 owner to answer this question: what are some of the best portable HD players (>=30gb) for IEMs like es2?

Aug 27, 2006 at 10:51 AM Post #4 of 9
I think you should try other tips first.. Comply, shure clears etc
It's just that i had the itchiness with triflanges because it touches the insides of my ears *gross*
plainface.gif

But hey, if ur prepared to spend the money, go for it! (i know i would)
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 9
If you are going to be using over 3 or 4 hours a day with IEM from now on, I think you might want to get the ES2.

However, if you are an occassional UM2 user, I think you should look for other option. How about sell ur UM2, and get Shure E500. I find Shure E500 a lot more comfortable to use than UM2.

Aug 27, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me

my main question was how comfortable the es2's will be in regards to the fact that i won't have to take them out every half hour due to a very annoying itchyness i get in my ears. doesn't anybody else experience this??

The outer shell of ES2 is using some soft material with the inner shell using hard material. Therefore, based on this, I can draw conclusion that this will be more comfortable than UE10 Pro, which the whole thing is using hard material. However, the exactly comfort is really related to how good the audiologist takes the ear impressions.

With regarding to the itchyness you get in ur ears, I am not sure it is because the universal fit of the UM2 or your ear canal is sensitive to some type of material like the silicon tips or the comply foam. Thus, it might be that you still get the ichyness with ES2. From my personal experience, I did get the ichtyness like you but only with foam tips. I do not get this with any silicon tips.

Aug 28, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 9
For sure.

I said before, but it's worth repeating, the ES2's will significantly imrove your listening enjoyment. Some day you might want an amp. When that day comes your EM2's will be even better.

Perhaps my only caveat is to use at least the 320kb you are currently using. I noticed a difference converting to lossless, but it was subtle.

Aug 28, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues
For sure.

I said before, but it's worth repeating, the ES2's will significantly imrove your listening enjoyment. Some day you might want an amp. When that day comes your EM2's will be even better.

Perhaps my only caveat is to use at least the 320kb you are currently using. I noticed a difference converting to lossless, but it was subtle.

I have to say I notice no difference between 256kb AAC with the VBR and lossless, 320 actually sounds a little grainy IMO but lossless I would reserve for reference song to test gear if at all... just takes up too damn much space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back