UM2's: Are they really $100+ better than Super.fi 5 Pro's and E4C'c?
Dec 10, 2006 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nickknutson

Headphoneus Supremus
The subject says it all...UM2's vs Super.fi 5 Pro's & Shure E4C's
Are they $100 more comfortable?
Do they sound $100 better? (I heard there is a hiss that comes frome the UM2's if you use them with an iPod)

Also, what's the difference between the Shure E4, E4C, E4G, and E4N? Color? Cable? I don't get it.

Thanks.

blink.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 15
I can only answer part of your question.

The hiss from UM2+ipod combo is (from what I've heard around here) due to a mismatch of impedance, it is iPod's problem. Any sensitive low-impedance headphones/IEM will hiss with iPod, it is not UM2's fault. I find rockbox pretty much fixed that problem on my iPod.

There is no sound quality/characteristic difference between those E4C, E4, E4G, etc. They only differ by their appearance and are thus marketed differently (e.g. E4C to the iPod crowd, E4G to portable console gamers).

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 15
In response to the first question, in terms of comfort, UM2 wins hands down. Note that I'm comparing the UM2 against the superfis only since I own a superfi 3s and they're pretty similar to the pros. They're the most discreet pair of iems I've seen and used so far. I'm sure the E4Cs aren't as comfy as the UM2s just by looking at their design. Perhaps owners of both UM2 and E4Cs would like to comment. As for sound quality, westones and ues have different sound signatures so it's really a matter of preference. The ues are somewhat neutral sounding and bassier, compared to the warmer tones of the westones.

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 15
The Comfort of the UM1 and UM2 IEMs out-perform all others.

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 15
Will having an amp between my iPod and cans help with the hiss? Or am I making a big deal out of nothing...meaning, there's barely a hiss. Also, if you own the UM2's, do you have the UM56 custom molds? If so, how does that effect the sound? for the better?

Thanks for all the response guys, I really appreciate it!

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by solo2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for sound quality, westones and ues have different sound signatures so it's really a matter of preference. The ues are somewhat neutral sounding and bassier, compared to the warmer tones of the westones.

I've heard this "warmer" description applied to the UM2 several times, and I've got to say I sort of disagree with it. When I think of a warm sound, I think of something with a rich, vibrant bass emphasis. What I get from the UM2 (with Shure soft flex tips... and this could just be my ears...) I would describe as more of a "dark" sound. Bassy, but transparent rather than vibrant. I can't really place what I think leads to this sensation, although I feel like it has more to do with the middle to upper midrange than the with the lower frequencies.

Anyway, I've got a pair of 5 Pros coming in the next few days. I sold mine a while before getting the UM2, so I never had a chance to properly compare them, and I never got to try the super.fi FS mod. Once I do, I'll be able to give you more impressions on sound and comfort if you're still interested.

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard this "warmer" description applied to the UM2 several times, and I've got to say I sort of disagree with it. When I think of a warm sound, I think of something with a rich, vibrant bass emphasis. What I get from the UM2 (with Shure soft flex tips... and this could just be my ears...) I would describe as more of a "dark" sound. Bassy, but transparent rather than vibrant. I can't really place what I think leads to this sensation, although I feel like it has more to do with the middle to upper midrange than the with the lower frequencies.

Anyway, I've got a pair of 5 Pros coming in the next few days. I sold mine a while before getting the UM2, so I never had a chance to properly compare them, and I never got to try the super.fi FS mod. Once I do, I'll be able to give you more impressions on sound and comfort if you're still interested.

I noticed you have the BD DT770's, I know they are totally different cans...but how do they compare to those? I used to own a pair of them.

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The deal with the UM1s and UM2s is that they can provide a vastly different sound depending on what tips you use. They're extremely versatile that way. I think the only thing that can be found to be constant is some high-end roll-off due to the balanced armature style of drivers, and for a lot of people this is a good thing as it reduces fatigue and allows for longer listening times. Some will find the roll-off displeasing. It's all a matter of taste.

The best way I think to describe the UM1s and UM2s is Musical. They're rather fun to listen to and will get your toe tapping, but they are by no means analytical/cold.

I don't have the custom tips but I have heard that they provide a better bass response and less roll-off on the high end due to the better fit.

Using MP3Gain to drop the volume levels on your music library and a low gain amp should get rid of the hiss you'll experience on some DAPs completely.

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #11 of 15
What I find odd is that on the shure website, they list the MSRP of the E4 series as $319 and they sell them for $299 as well as most other online retailers, but you can find them heavily discounted at various places on the web. I got mine for $182 with free shipping from DJ Deals. Whereas the UM2s advertised LIST price is $450, but everyone sells them at $299. So really, they are pretty much the same price if one was to buy them from most retailers without digging deeper for discounts.
I haven't listened to the um2s since I purchased my e4s before I found out about the UMs, but when I decide to upgrade, I'm tossed between the E500 or the UE-5c, but will most likely stick with the universal, so I will be shopping for the best price that I can find on the shures.
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I find odd is that on the shure website, they list the MSRP of the E4 series as $319 and they sell them for $299 as well as most other online retailers, but you can find them heavily discounted at various places on the web. I got mine for $182 with free shipping from DJ Deals. Whereas the UM2s advertised LIST price is $450, but everyone sells them at $299. So really, they are pretty much the same price if one was to buy them from most retailers without digging deeper for discounts.
I haven't listened to the um2s since I purchased my e4s before I found out about the UMs, but when I decide to upgrade, I'm tossed between the E500 or the UE-5c, but will most likely stick with the universal, so I will be shopping for the best price that I can find on the shures.
wink.gif

So, you prefer the E4's to the UM2's? Why do you feel that way? As for price, I've found the shure E4's & the UE Super.fi 5 Pro's for $189 and the UM2 for $270.

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, you prefer the E4's to the UM2's? Why do you feel that way? As for price, I've found the shure E4's & the UE Super.fi 5 Pro's for $189 and the UM2 for $270.

I haven't listened to the um2s, but after reading almost every compairison here on head-fi, the general consensus is that the um2 is a side step from the e4 and not an upgrade to the next level
blink.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed you have the BD DT770's, I know they are totally different cans...but how do they compare to those? I used to own a pair of them.

Compared to the DT-770, the UM2 have a less aggressive low end. It's still there in a sizable quantity, but it's more relaxed, less impactful, and more integrated with the rest of the spectrum. The mids are more forefront and quite detailed. Not quite as detailed as the DT-770 - I wouldn't really expect that from IEMs - but the details are right there instead of being a bit farther out.

The treble of the UM2 is pretty weak. I don't think rolled off is the right description because I think that usually implies that it's normal up to the roll off point. I feel like the UM2 starts the "roll off" at the upper mids and everything gets gradually reduced as the frequencies go higher. Then the usual IEM roll off occurs at the very high end. There's detail, but basically no sparkle in most recordings.

Actually, I'm playing around some brighter recordings (Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms XRCD) and EQ and it's supporting my theory about the upper mids. I think they're just a tad too subdued in relation to the lower half of the midrange. But essentially this is the only misstep in the UM2's sound. Overall they're very cohesive.

All in all, I prefer the DT-770 for just about everything except old live rock recordings. It's also worth noting that after listening to the UM2 for a while, you get very used to its frequency response and its intimacy and detail will distract you from thinking about stupid unimportant stuff like treble roll off and upper-mid deficiencies.
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's also worth noting that after listening to the UM2 for a while, you get very used to its frequency response and its intimacy and detail will distract you from thinking about stupid unimportant stuff like treble roll off and upper-mid deficiencies.
wink.gif

I have to agree with you! Everytime when I switch from HD600 to UM2 I would find them darker and muddier, with a substantial decrease in bass quantity. But after a song or two everything comes right back, and I would just enjoy them as much as my HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back