UM2's a buzzin?
Oct 5, 2005 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ZackT

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I took advantage of Earphone's 20% off deal to get myself a pair of the new UM2's. They are fab sounding (IMO).

But just one thing. From the iPod they are fine, from the headphone socket of my home mini system they are fine but from my computer at work and my powerbook at home there is a buzzing and even a quiet crackel when the music is not playing. Why is this?

Has anyone else found this or can tell me why or how to fix?

Thanks.

Oct 5, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT
Has anyone else found this or can tell me why or how to fix?

Thanks.

I only get this when the volume is turned up on the PC because I have a junky sound card. If this is your problem you might want to upgrade your sound card...that's what I'm looking into.

Oct 5, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
I only get this when the volume is turned up on the PC because I have a junky sound card. If this is your problem you might want to upgrade your sound card...that's what I'm looking into.

Thanks but the soundcards are supposed to be pretty good on Powerbooks and I have a maxed out G5 at work. Perhaps it's that impedience thingy I know nothing about. Can anyone explain this to me?

Oct 5, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by irvin59
I have the e5c which is similar to the UM2 in many respects and they are very sensitive to hiss and noise. I think the problem is your soundcards not the iem's.

Yes, but it may be a power / earth thing like you get with powered subs?

I've just plugged my Xin h/p amp into my computer's h/p out and now the noise is only there when turned way up.

Still - this is getting in the way of enjoying my music. Perhaps I need to get a D/A converter or new soundcard and run it from the USB (sigh - all that money on the UM2's and now even more!).

ZT

Oct 5, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 17
Its a common problem. Its just noise from the electrical inteference.

Oct 5, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilgnome
Its a common problem. Its just noise from the electrical inteference.

Ok then, any way to avoid it? Or do I just have to be content with the iPod?

(Current solution below)
ZT

Oct 5, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 17
Hi ZackT,

Have you tried to turn the impedence switch and the gain switch on?

Overlunge

Oct 5, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi ZackT,

Have you tried to turn the impedence switch and the gain switch on?

Overlunge

Thanks, the impediance switch works but changes the sound. A bit thinner without so much bass. I'll play around with it.

ZT

Oct 5, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 17
It's an electric isolation issue related to the soundcard and the components on the computer board. In laptops is normally more noticeable due to the small space that makes more defficult this electric (electronic) isolation.

You may know that every electronic component is a radio (
icon10.gif
) so the isolation issue is a real problem in every audio-related device.

An external sound card or a better internal sound card will be the only solution.

Oct 5, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 17
Yeah, I get it too. Ironically enough its not an issue with my laptop (Thinkpad T42), but pretty obvious & loud when plugged into my iRiver H320. This is when both are running off battery, I haven't tried either while plugged in yet. The Thinkpad is actually pretty impressive in its sound quality, IMHO.

Oct 6, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach
It's an electric isolation issue related to the soundcard and the components on the computer board.
An external sound card or a better internal sound card will be the only solution.

Thanks, I think I'll save up for an external soundcard. Anyone recommend a good one?

Other than that the portable amp kinda works for now.

Still a bit annoying though.

Oct 6, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 17
I've been very happy with the Porta Corda III in general. I also had a Bithead Total, which I found to be a bit too bright with bright headphones.. but then it might be the way to go with the UM2. I don't have it anymore so I can't check.

Oct 6, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Thanks, I think I'll save up for an external soundcard. Anyone recommend a good one?

Other than that the portable amp kinda works for now.

Still a bit annoying though.

Echo Indigo! [size=xx-small]But don't go the the NZ dealer, they rip you off. NZD $560[/size]
eek.gif

Overlunge

Oct 6, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Thanks but the soundcards are supposed to be pretty good on Powerbooks and I have a maxed out G5 at work. Perhaps it's that impedience thingy I know nothing about. Can anyone explain this to me?

Firstly, the soundcard on a MAC is not "great", it will suffice just the way one on a PC will, and for a PC laptop, you even have options of getting a really maxed out soundcard from various professional venders.

Try unplugging the power supply from the powerbook and let it run on batteries. 99.99%, the hissing and clicks would have disappeared. If this is the case, try plugging in your powers supply directly into the wall socket and not into any powerstrip extension. If you hunt from building to building, you may even find a wall socket of your liking
biggrin.gif

Anyway, if there is no disturbance when running on batteries, then it is highly unlikely that an external soundcard will correct it; it may of course reduce it, but will not completely mitigate it for the very reason that this supply noise will be present on every circuitary in the computer 'coz everything is operated/derived from it. This means that the noise will also be present on the PCMCIA Cardbus, USB & Firewire interface. Unless of course, your external sound card has really good jitter correction (expensive in short
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I face a similar problem, I tried my external Total Bithead, Echo Indigo DJ and the PC built in soundcard. In any case, when connected to my tube amp with the power adapter connected, the noise is present. On battery, its pitch black silence. Lucky for my, at home when I connect directly to the wall socket, the problem is almost solved.

In an unlikely event that you still hear noise when running on batteries, then I would strongly suggest trying it out on another laptop. When running on batteries, the background noise SHOULD not be present to an audible level.

Do let us know your findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back