UM2 versus Westone 3
Dec 17, 2008 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
ROTFLMAO!!

Regarding many initial comments of a recessed midrange with W3....after a week straight with W3 I went back to UM2 and boy does it sound inferior. The midrange sounds far too forward which is giving the impression of a much smaller dynamic range. Lots of midrange but bass (detail) and certainly all of the treble sounds recessed. W3 destroys them in virtually every way. I'd call it a significant step up.

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 5
no contest!!!!

every day even the gap between my SE530 and these widens. and I havent even considered using them in days I almost feel soprry for them they are being so rejected. I may even end up selling them to someone who will love them. that way I can get some MD5000 and recable them. still its a hard chopice. they do still beat the W3 in a couple of small areas. probably about 5-10% of my music sound better on the shures, but it's not music I listen to that often.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 5
So out of the 3 phones mentioned here, which do you guys like better for rock and punk?

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 5
reggae...W3 or se530??

always has been my favourite genre with the se530 and imo they sound unbelievably fantastic with reggae music, can anybody check out some jah cure or similar artists with the W3 and se530 and tell me which gives the most warm heartfilled sound?? ie. sweet clean lows mainly as reggae is built on the low end its easily the strongest part of reggae music.

any opinions much appreciated.

edit: by the way bass volume is very important also for reggae, if you cant hear it well then theres no music there.

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 5
I don't do much reggae but here is how I would describe each one's bass.

UM2: Pretty heavy, honest and natural sounding but not neccesarily very detailed and articulate. Very good but not great.

SE530: Amount is just about right. Very good, very natural sounding, very controlled. Better than UM2.

W3: I find it stronger than both above but more importantly, it extends deeper and is more articulate. I DO think you have to dial in the right EQ settings as to not overshadow the other frequencies (no need to do this with SE530) but once you get that right, the overall balance beats anything I have heard. I guess I just mean thattoo much bass on W3 will hurt the rest of the presentation. I guess one could say this with any IEM but I do find W3 to be a bass monster that needs to be kept in check.

For reference on the nano I would use "electronica" setting with UM2 and SE530 but am using "jazz" setting with W3's. Still plenty of bass but the overall detail top to bottom is amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back