UM2 Users - Which Tips? Comply, Bi-flange, Tri-flange...?
Jul 6, 2006 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

digitaldave

500+ Head-Fier
Just got my pair of UM2s (thanks Earphone Solutions
smily_headphones1.gif
), and I had a quick test to see what the sound is like. So far so good! I'd be interested to hear from other users which tips they use - comply small, comply long, bi-flange, tri-flange or something else? Does one type tend to give better isolation or sound? Which do you find more comfortable over a period of an hour or two?

Thanks,

Dave.

Jul 6, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 14
I used the long comply tips when I first got them but I have now moved on to the custom ear molds.

Jul 6, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 14
comply shorts, but the shure ultra soft silicone tips are nice too

Jul 6, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 14
I love mine with Shure E5 triflanges modded into bi-flanges. This combo has given me the best ratio of performance and value (very reusable, durable, and when washed they come back like new).

Jul 6, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 14
I use Shure E5 triflanges modded into bi-flanges and with shortened stem

Jul 7, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 14
None of the above - Shure Clear Flex sleeves did it for me. A lot of the biflange/triflange mods introduce a lower treble spike into a treble that's already sometimes less than smooth, and the benefits they brought to tonal balance didn't justify the problems. But, the Clear Flex tips helped tone down the bass/bring out the highs without introducing too much harshness into the sound.

I also liked the Shure yellow foamies with an Ety P/S converter (70 ohm resistor basically). The foamies recess the midrange something fierce but bring out the detail. The resistor rolls off both ends considerably, so together the two sound fairly well balanced, smooth, and detailed, though a bit rolled off on both ends still.

I would guess that custom sleeves are the way to go with the UM2. The ES2 certainly fixed all of the UM2's tonal balance problems.

Jul 7, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 14
The complys are okay. I prefer yellow foamies though. I tried using the medium clear flex and found I just couldn't get a good enough seal. The large clear flex are just too big for me. Aren't there supposed to be black foamies coming out soon?

Jul 8, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #9 of 14
Here's another vote for the Shure Clear Flex and I've tried pretty much everything.

Jul 8, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 14
I think orange comply tips are a big no-no, because they make the UM2 sound very dark, dull and soft.

Being a detail-headed, for me the best ones are the modded tri-flanges. (Converting them to bi-flanges)

Now I'm looking to make a custom molds or getting some ER4P...

Jul 8, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach
I think orange comply tips are a big no-no, because they make the UM2 sound very dark, dull and soft.

Being a detail-headed, for me the best ones are the modded tri-flanges. (Converting them to bi-flanges)

Now I'm looking to make a custom molds or getting some ER4P...

Do you cut the stem off of the tri-flanges in addition to cutting off one of the flanges to make biflanges?

Jul 13, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 14
Do the bi-flanges lower the bass response at all?

I just got the UM2 and like the bass, but I'd like it to be just a touch brighter. I'm currently using it out of my nano and have to EQ it to get it to sound right to me.

**EDIT: Nevermind...found a thread on it. My bad.

Jul 14, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #14 of 14
For me, in order of preference for SQ:

- Shure Ultra flex Silicon
- Biflange
- Short Comply

In order of comfort:

- Short comply
- Shure Ultra Flex Silicon (tie)
- Biflange (tie)

So I usually end up with the biflange or ultra flex tips in, unless it's a *really* long flight....

Good listening,
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back