UM2 Users: What Tips and EQ Settings?
Aug 18, 2008 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
I know many people use Shure Olives with these but I'm a little surprised they are even recommeded for them? The Westone nozzles are thinner than the Shures and I found the olives fairly loose on the Westone nozzles. In fact I lost one in my ear taking out the IEM a while back so I went back to the complys. Anyone else have this problem?

I was using "Electronica" setting with the 3G Nano but have gone to "Treble Booster" the last few days and this might be the best yet. UM2's are somewhat bassy already. When I first switched to "Treble Booster" the bass seemed to disappear but after my ears adjusted (15-20 minutes later) it's damn near sonically perfect. Talk about balanced with clarity and detail. Sounds like a warm ER4P with bass boost. I'm really digging it.

Aug 18, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 28
I never had that problem with my Westone UM1s, the Shure tips fit on the tube just as well as on a Shure, for the olives and the other tips. The tips I loved on the UM1s was tri-flanges from Shure with the smallest tip cut off to make bi-flanges. It gave me personally, the most comfort and made the Westones feel a bit more alive. I can't use tri-flanges, it causes a huge migraine for me, so bi-flanges are perfect. I personally don't have the 3G Nano, but my cousin does, but I hate all the EQ settings. None of them makes the music "right" so I just go EQ-less.

Aug 18, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 28
I use the medium 'olives'. I'm getting a better seal with 'olives' when the larger complys went a little bit small and not so tight sealing in my ears. With the 'olives' the treble side of the UM2 opened and is more pronounced now, due to better sealing the bass is better defined too.
The 'olives' are inserted much easier than the complys on my UM2's nozzles though the installation is not loose and never had an incident of loosing them in my ears. I noticed the center piece of the 'olives' is harder plastic than the complys rubberiesh feeling inner piece, that might explain why they can't be made for tighter fit, especially if you try to fit on UM2 some 'olives' that are used on Shure IEMs before.
As a source to UM2 I use the sony A818, all sound enhancements turned off, stock DAC settings, and flat EQ (with complys I had to dial +1 truebass, +1 @ 6.3KHz and +1 @ 16KHz).
Listening mostly on electronic (from minimal all the way up to heavy stuff) and also some acoustic (classic guitars, piano and small ensembles) the sound is VERY pleasing through the UM2 much more so than any other IEM tried in the past (most of the dynamic and BA IEMs out there).
I had other IEMs that were more even on frequency response or more dynamic or more analytical, but to me the UM2 is the most rounded of them all, capable of monitoring duties and very pleasant to listen non stop for many hours. Even on live recordings they can expand a very reasonable stage out of your head (but for people liking huge stage reproduction there is no IEM really good).
When it comes to comfort the complys are more comfortable than the 'olives' by a small margin but both are much more comfortable than any silicone tip for long time sessions.
Cheers.

Aug 18, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 28
im using shure olives.

Better seal than medium stand westone foams

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 28
Comply tips for me. I only wish they were darker colored, like black. Mine are looking a little "used" after 6 weeks.

I've been using "Treble Booster" since day one, it's my fave so far.

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 28
Shure Grey Softips! I've liked the concept of softips since my first pair of EX71s and I use 'em on both pairs of IEMs - mediums on the Ety 4Ps, and large on UM2s. Great seal and comfort, ease of use/maintenance, and they last a long time. As for EQ I try to keep it as flat as possible most of those portable engines (even Sonys) wheez when they have to do too much with very little power; usually one click boost to register 5/6 or 5/5 (depending on the eq engine employed) for a little treble reinforcement is good to go... I've avoided the presets (including bass enhancements) entirely. Cheers.

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #11 of 28
A also like the medium Sure olives and don't find them loose. use treble booster often. Use Acoustic for more quiet music when falling asleep.

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #13 of 28
Crap.

So I tried the triple flanges. Wow. Piano notes are so beautiful. Bass response is better. Mids shine more. However Shure must have used an elephant as they are far too big for a mere human being.

frown.gif
I. Should. Have. Cut. Off. The. Biggest. One. Now my bi-flanges are wrong. Damnation - any cheap UK stockists (not eBay) who don't charge a small fortune for p+p?

Until I buy more triple flanges I will stick with the Shure olives... then decide what to do with them lol

P.S. ESW9 still better. Why did I take so long to convert to full size???

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 28
I hate myself. The triple flanges were sticking out like UE's and were far too big, so I modded them into bi-flanges. But Frankenstein effect still there...

So I cut more of the stem away so the sleeve would be more flush. Nooooo! Back to the flabby bass, average mids and blocky piano notes of the previous-favourites Shure Olives

This is what happens when you give control to the people

Aug 19, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate myself. The triple flanges were sticking out like UE's and were far too big, so I modded them into bi-flanges. But Frankenstein effect still there...

So I cut more of the stem away so the sleeve would be more flush. Nooooo! Back to the flabby bass, average mids and blocky piano notes of the previous-favourites Shure Olives

This is what happens when you give control to the people

I'm looking at your signature. Please tell me your thoughts comparing UM2 to E4G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back