UM2 Tips
Oct 21, 2006 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bob_McBob

1000+ Head-Fier
I am having a lot of trouble finding tips that really work well for me on my UM2s. My ear canals must be a bit weird, because the standard choices just aren't much good. Here's what I have tried:

Unmodded triflanges - Sound great and provide great isolation, but I cannot keep them in my right ear without constant serious pain.

Triflanges with shortened stem - Provide pretty good isolation, but the sound is muffled because they seem to compress the end against the side of my ear canal.

Ety triflanges - Same as Shure triflanges.

Large Complys - Same problems as the shortened triflanges.

Triflanges modded to biflanges - Sound great, but they slip out of my right ear too easily and provide only minimal isolation.

Small Complys - Sound great and are very comfortable, but have the same problems as the biflanges.

I am running out of options here! I need some tips that sound good, but also provide good isolation. I am thinking of trying the Shure flex sleeves next, but I can't find anywhere that sells packs of diferrent sizes. There's also the Shure foamies, but I would like to avoid using foamies if possible because of the recurring cost and the fact that they look nasty. The only other options are trying to make the triflanges work for me (what could be causing the ear pain in only my right ear?) or going to UM56 customs. UM56s are really more than I want to spend on the UM2s since I mainly use them in bed and when I am in waiting rooms and such, but if I am going to have to try several other tips first, I might as well put the money towards them instead.

So what do you think? Should I try the flex tips (which kind?) or what? Does anyone know where I can buy a pack of different sizes? Is the Shure fit kit available anywhere?

I really want to make these work, because with the right tips they sound amazing, and they are very, very comfortable because they sit flush with my ears.

Oct 21, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 11
Oh wow, that was nowhere as dramatic as i thought it would be
eek.gif

Ring up shure.. i think that's the only other way

Oct 21, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #5 of 11
Is the fit kit earphonesolutions sells even an official Shure product? I can't find it anywhere on their site (though they do make fit kits for other products), and I can't find it for sale anywhere else, either.

Oct 22, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob
Is the fit kit earphonesolutions sells even an official Shure product? I can't find it anywhere on their site (though they do make fit kits for other products), and I can't find it for sale anywhere else, either.

Shure features a fit kit on their site that has all three sizes of silicone tips (S,M, & L) as well as some foamies. Don't know about shipping to Canada tho'. As an advocate of these types of (silicon or 'mushroom') tips, I will say that my UM2s work better (for me) with Large tips even though I use Medium tips on my Etys and Shures. It's all about the seal, correct aiming of the sound tube, and comfort - good luck!

Oct 22, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #7 of 11
There is Long & McQuade in your town, should give them a call, they have shure and etymotic accessories. I have ordered the shure triflange tip at L&M before, but it takes a few days to come in. The shure soft flex doesn't isolate as much as the foam or triflange and doesn't sound as good as those on the er6i, but comfortable.

Give them a call, good luck

Oct 22, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #8 of 11
The only fit kit I can find on Shure's site is the "QuietSpot Fit Kit" for their boom headseats. Where is the E-series fit kit? I have asked a few places and they all say there is no such thing as the Shure fit kit for E-series earphones, other than the one that comes with them in the box, which they don't sell separately. The one at earphonesolutions seems to be made up specially of pieces from larger packets.

Oct 22, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 11
I did mention them in my first post. Unfortunately they're not really an option financially at the moment, and I'm not sure I would want to put that much money into an IEM, anyway. I would really like to find a place to get that fit kit from that doesn't charge $20 to ship the damn thing
mad.gif

Oct 22, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob
The only fit kit I can find on Shure's site is the "QuietSpot Fit Kit" for their boom headseats. Where is the E-series fit kit? I have asked a few places and they all say there is no such thing as the Shure fit kit for E-series earphones, other than the one that comes with them in the box, which they don't sell separately. The one at earphonesolutions seems to be made up specially of pieces from larger packets.

Sorry Bob, they are not identified as such on the 'headphones/accesories/sleeves' page. You would order the 'assorted' which should give you 1 pair ea. of s,m,l - depending on which tip you order, not a complete assortment of all tips. I don't know if there is an alternative for the high cost of shipping outside of USA either, so this may not be a cost effective choice for you - I'd attempt to try this type out before buying, anyway. They do work best for me, but who knows? Good luck.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back